Hello and a Question

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Ben Clark

Hello and a Question

Post by Ben Clark »

Hello to everyone here on B-Greek. As a language learner I am very excited about this forum. I love languages and am particularly interested in the Greek of the Bible. Several times in the past I have started independent study mostly by trying to plow through a textbook. This time around I have been searching online as well and am finding a wealth of information available. And so to my question:
As I am collecting links, is it reasonable to post them here? I picture starting a post with several blog addresses and other links I want to remember. Of course such a post would be edited over time. However, I am not sure whether or not this is a proper use of this forum; or if something like this has already been started. I could see it being useful to beginners like myself.
Jonathan Robie

Re: Hello and a Question

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Hi Ben, welcome to B-Greek!

Feel free to post and ask about links as you encounter them - in the beginner's forum. But I think you'll find that a phpBB forum isn't the best way to maintain such a list, since you can't go back and edit your messages later. There are quite a few such lists of resources on the Internet, maybe we can have people nominate their favorite lists here in this thread.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Devenios Doulenios

Post by Devenios Doulenios »

Welcome, Ben!

Probably the best way to keep a list of favorite links is through your web browser--just bookmark them. If you need help with doing that, just ask.

I'm sure we could also provide you with some favorite links also.

Δεβἐνιος Δουλἐνιος
Dewayne Dulaney
Dewayne Dulaney
Δεβένιος Δουλένιος

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

"Ὁδοὶ δύο εἰσί, μία τῆς ζωῆς καὶ μία τοῦ θανάτου."--Διδαχή Α, α'
Ben Clark

Post by Ben Clark »

Thanks for the welcome!
Jonathan Robie wrote:But I think you'll find that a phpBB forum isn't the best way to maintain such a list, since you can't go back and edit your messages later.
I did not realize that you could not go back and edit the messages. That makes perfect sense for a forum so I will find another way.
Devenios Doulenios wrote:Probably the best way to keep a list of favorite links is through your web browser--just bookmark them.
I use several different computers during the day so I will find another way. I usually use Chrome as my browser so I can set it up to synchronize my bookmarks across computers (I just haven't been motivated to set it up yet).
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Ben Clark wrote:Hello to everyone here on B-Greek. As a language learner I am very excited about this forum. I love languages and am particularly interested in the Greek of the Bible. Several times in the past I have started independent study mostly by trying to plow through a textbook. This time around I have been searching online as well and am finding a wealth of information available. And so to my question:
As I am collecting links, is it reasonable to post them here? I picture starting a post with several blog addresses and other links I want to remember. Of course such a post would be edited over time. However, I am not sure whether or not this is a proper use of this forum; or if something like this has already been started. I could see it being useful to beginners like myself.
Welcome to B-Greek Ben
The way I keep records of links to webpages is to have a folder for urls in the "briefcase" of the computer, and also in various other places (jump drive etc).
Then when I find a website that I want to remember, I copy its url (highlight the url address bar, copy, and paste) into a plain text file, with a note of what the website is about. By now I have a series of files, with names such as urls-humor.txt, urls-greek.txt, urls-hebrew.txt , all in the "urls folder" ready to refer to whenever I want to re-visit some site.
If a web page has material to which I might want to refer frequently, or which I might want for permanent record, I go to "file" and "save as" and save the whole webpage complete, to another folder named "downloads". Remember - whatever is up on the web today may be gone tomorrow :-)
Happy browsing
Shirley Rollinson

Return to “Introductions”