Revelation 11: 3 - καὶ δώσω τοῖς δυσὶν μάρτυσίν μου

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
David Lim

Re: The word μάρτυρες not σημεῖα is being used

Post by David Lim »

Stephen Hughes wrote:
David Lim wrote:A closer synonym of "μαρτυς" that could be used for non-people witnesses is "μαρτυριον" or indirectly by "εις μαρτυριον". At least in the LXX+NT I found no instances of "μαρτυς" for a non-person witness. "σημειον" would convey it as more of an observable object, while "μαρτυριον" will convey it as more of something that can express a testimony. Both "μαρτυρες" and "μαρτυρια" can "μαρτυρειν".
Did you find an instance of a μαρτυριον that was not given by a person, angel or God? Could a candelabra or olive tree give a μαρτυριον?

I think like an inanimate equivalent of a μαρτυριον "testimony" is a τεκμήριον "proof", "evidence". Is that a reasonable understanding of mine?
Since we were looking for a synonym of "μαρτυς" (one who testifies), I suggested "μαρτυριον" (something which testifies). I think "μαρτυρια" is the one that is more like "testimony (something that is testified)", whereas "μαρτυριον" is more like "testimony / witness (inanimate)" which tends to be used to refer to inanimate witnesses but can also be used to refer to "μαρτυριας". A candlestick or olive tree can "μαρτυρειν", which is to give a "μαρτυριαν", which makes it a "μαρτυριον", and it can also be said to be "εις μαρτυριον".

Here are some examples of "μαρτυριον" in the LXX+NT:
[Gen 21:30] ... τας επτα αμναδας ταυτας λημψη παρ εμου ινα ωσιν μοι εις μαρτυριον οτι εγω ωρυξα το φρεαρ τουτο
[Deut 31:19-21] ... ινα γενηται μοι η ωδη αυτη εις μαρτυριον εν υιοις ισραηλ ... και αντικαταστησεται η ωδη αυτη κατα προσωπον μαρτυρουσα ...
[Josh 22:27] αλλ ινα η τουτο μαρτυριον ανα μεσον ημων και υμων και ανα μεσον των γενεων ημων μεθ ημας ...
[Josh 24:27] και ειπεν ιησους προς τον λαον ιδου ο λιθος ουτος εσται εν υμιν εις μαρτυριον ... και εσται ουτος εν υμιν εις μαρτυριον επ εσχατων των ημερων ...
[Matt 8:4] ... προσενεγκε το δωρον ο προσεταξεν μωσης εις μαρτυριον αυτοις
[Matt 24:14] και κηρυχθησεται τουτο το ευαγγελιον της βασιλειας εν ολη τη οικουμενη εις μαρτυριον πασιν τοις εθνεσιν ...
[Mark 6:11] ... εκπορευομενοι εκειθεν εκτιναξατε τον χουν τον υποκατω των ποδων υμων εις μαρτυριον αυτοις
[2 Thes 1:10] ... οτι επιστευθη το μαρτυριον ημων εφ υμας εν τη ημερα εκεινη
[James 5:3] ο χρυσος υμων και ο αργυρος κατιωται και ο ιος αυτων εις μαρτυριον υμιν εσται ...

As for "τεκμηριον", I think it is more like "token / proof / verification".
δαυιδ λιμ

Return to “What does this text mean?”