what evidence shows Koine υ sounded like German ü?

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
Penn Tomassetti

Re: what evidence shows Koine υ sounded like German ü?

Post by Penn Tomassetti »

MAubrey wrote:Consonant clusters, I can provide more help...even if you weren't asking.
I appreciate this, too. I hope I'm not asking too much if I add, but what about vowel clusters, like οι / υι / ηυ?
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Penn Tomassetti wrote:
Stephen Carlson wrote:The request for online sources only is rather frustrating . . . (Heck, you might even find an pirated copy of it online somewhere if you are really look hard.)
I am sorry to have frustrated you with my question. Perhaps you shouldn't have bothered to answer. Frankly, I am shocked that you would suggest using a pirated copy of anything. That is really low. It's not as if I couldn't ask a library for the author you suggested. Anyhow, I'm not asking you to detail the evidence item by item. Just for someone to point me in the right direction, which I see you have done. Thank you for the little bit of info you were willing to share and I hope it wasn't a bother for you to do so.
Well, then check the book out of the library. Or buy it. Used, it may not even be that much. It has the kind of detail you're looking for, and it is aware of the limitations of the evidence (e.g., transliteration).
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
RandallButh

Post by RandallButh »

Penn Tomassetti wrote:
MAubrey wrote:Consonant clusters, I can provide more help...even if you weren't asking.
I appreciate this, too. I hope I'm not asking too much if I add, but what about vowel clusters, like οι / υι / ηυ?
While υι is called a dipthong, we have that fascinating papyrus from 100CE with
τω οιειωι 'to the son'.
Penn Tomassetti

Stephen Carlson wrote: Well, then check the book out of the library. Or buy it. Used, it may not even be that much. It has the kind of detail you're looking for, and it is aware of the limitations of the evidence (e.g., transliteration).
Thanks for this, Stephen. You are right, I just checked and it is not that expensive used. And sorry about my mistaken response regarding what was frustrating and the book.
Penn Tomassetti

RandallButh wrote:
Penn Tomassetti wrote:
While υι is called a dipthong, we have that fascinating papyrus from 100CE with
τω οιειωι 'to the son'.
Thank you, Randall. Is that papyrus 109.2? Does that spelling indicate whether the sound of οι / υι was üi?

Return to “Beginners Forum”