The Shema in Greek

Resources and methods for teaching and learning New Testament Greek.
Louis L Sorenson

The Shema in Greek

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

This post is part of an ongoing thread about memorizing texts to increase one's fluency. It was originally discussed under the thread GNT in Music, Ancient and Modern http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/forum/vie ... =14&t=2286

I wrote:
I think another great way to learn Koine is memorizing passages in Greek like the Shema, and some of the Creeds. In all of this, don't forget the value of audio - actually listening to the written words. Language was meant to be spoken and heard -- leaving it to print alone is ripping it from its native environment. You can find NT audio sources at http://www.letsreadgreek.com/resources/gntaudio.htm.. That site also needs some updates, but it is a start.
To which Stephen Hughes responded
Louis L Sorenson wrote:memorizing passages in Greek like the Shema
There are said to be three "versions" of it.
1) Torah: Deuteronomy 6:4 wrote:Ἄκουε Ἰσραὴλ Κύριος ὁ Θεὸς ἡμῶν Κύριος εἷς ἐστιν

2) Jesus:
Mark 12:29-30 wrote:Ὁ δὲ Ἰησοῦς ἀπεκρίθη αὐτῷ ὅτι Πρώτη πάντων τῶν ἐντολῶν, Ἄκουε, Ἰσραήλ· Κύριος ὁ Θεὸς ἡμῶν, Κύριος εἷς ἐστίν· καὶ ἀγαπήσεις Κύριον τὸν Θεόν σου ἐξ ὅλης τῆς καρδίας σου, καὶ ἐξ ὅλης τῆς ψυχῆς σου, καὶ ἐξ ὅλης τῆς διανοίας σου, καὶ ἐξ ὅλης τῆς ἰσχύος σου. Αὕτη πρώτη ἐντολή.
3) Paul
1 Corinthians 8:6 wrote: ἀλλ’ ἡμῖν εἷς Θεὸς ὁ πατήρ, ἐξ οὗ τὰ πάντα, καὶ ἡμεῖς εἰς αὐτόν· καὶ εἷς Κύριος Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, δι’ οὗ τὰ πάντα, καὶ ἡμεῖς δι’ αὐτοῦ.

Attached is a workup the the Shema I tried to create a year ago. I have not updated the attached file in the last year. At the time, I was teaching a messianic Christian Koine Greek (who knows Hebrew well and who teaches Biblical Hebrew as a living language) Any suggestions would be helpful. I would like to add vocabulary to this file. But I present it as a work in progress.
Attachments
The Complete Shema.pdf
(88.24 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
wallerrobertr

Re: The Shema in Greek

Post by wallerrobertr »

Hey, wow!
Thanks for the Shema - another cool biblical quote to work on.
Gratefully,
- RRW

Return to “Teaching and Learning Greek”