List of Articular Infinitives

Stephen Carlson

Re: List of Articular Infinitives

Post by Stephen Carlson »

George F Somsel wrote:In the NT I find 204 verses with the positive articular infinitive and 31 with the negative (τὸ μὴ). It would be a bit bulky to post so I would suggest that you learn to use Bibleworks so you can run the search yourself.
The problem is constituents intervening between the article and the infinitive. There seem to be about a hundred more examples than the simple search can find. Either an over-inclusive search with a manual filter or a syntax-sensitive search is in order. I'd just like to know if this wheel had been invented before diving in.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

Stephen Carlson wrote: The problem is constituents intervening between the article and the infinitive. There seem to be about a hundred more examples than the simple search can find. Either an over-inclusive search with a manual filter or a syntax-sensitive search is in order. I'd just like to know if this wheel had been invented before diving in.
Any syntax database should be able to handle that without a problem. Let me see what I can pull up
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

Also: give Burk's book a miss. It's pretty useless.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

MAubrey wrote:Also: give Burk's book a miss. It's pretty useless.
It would be useful as long as it lists the occurrences. I'm interested in a different question than he was, so I don't expect him to be directly useful on a question he didn't ask.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

Stephen Carlson wrote:
MAubrey wrote:Also: give Burk's book a miss. It's pretty useless.
It would be useful as long as it lists the occurrences. I'm interested in a different question than he was, so I don't expect him to be directly useful on a question he didn't ask.
If the only value of a book is its statistics, then there has to be a better way.

Anyway, his ETS paper on the same topic last year claims 324 tokens. So far in Cascadia (the same data as Jonathan & Micheal) I've found 283. Still looking around...
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

One could also do it the old-fashioned way – – by reading through the Greek New Testament, and noting every instance of the articular infinitive. I admit it might take a little longer, but think of the benefits resulting...
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Barry Hofstetter wrote:One could also do it the old-fashioned way – – by reading through the Greek New Testament, and noting every instance of the articular infinitive. I admit it might take a little longer, but think of the benefits resulting...
Jawohl, Barry. There's the difference between philologist and linguist: one "loves" the language; the other measures and slices and dices it into bite-size morsels. :D
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

cwconrad wrote:
Barry Hofstetter wrote:One could also do it the old-fashioned way – – by reading through the Greek New Testament, and noting every instance of the articular infinitive. I admit it might take a little longer, but think of the benefits resulting...
Jawohl, Barry. There's the difference between philologist and linguist: one "loves" the language; the other measures and slices and dices it into bite-size morsels. :D
It would be of great benefit if the one student could be both.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Stephen Hughes wrote:
cwconrad wrote:
Yes, but do they speak the same language?
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

cwconrad wrote:
Stephen Hughes wrote:
cwconrad wrote: Jawohl, Barry. There's the difference between philologist and linguist: one "loves" the language; the other measures and slices and dices it into bite-size morsels. :D
Yes, but do they speak the same language?
Two eyes give a 3-D perspective.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Return to “Syntax and Grammar”