Matt 7:14 - τι

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
David Lim

Matt 7:14 - τι

Post by David Lim »

BYZ/WHNU wrote:[Matt 7] [14] τι στενη η πυλη και τεθλιμμενη η οδος η απαγουσα εις την ζωην και ολιγοι εισιν οι ευρισκοντες αυτην
I can't figure out what "τι" is doing there.. Is it an adverbial interrogative determiner such that "τι στενη" means "how narrow"? Or is it an adverbial interrogative particle such that "τι στενη η πυλη και τεθλιμμενη η οδος η απαγουσα εις την ζωην" means "why, narrow [is] the gate and constricted [is] the path that leads into the life"? Or could it be that "οτι" was intended, as TR has it? LSJ says:
LSJ wrote:IV. τί as exclamatory Adv., how . . ! “τί ὡραιώθησαν σιαγόνες σου ὡς τρυγόνες” LXX Ca.1.10, cf. 4.10; τί θέλω how I wish! Ev.Luc.12.49; τί στενή v.l. in Ev.Matt.7.14.
But the first two are not quite the same as the third. Moreover can these three mean "why, ..." instead? Or does anyone think that "οτι" is the original? ;)
δαυιδ λιμ
cwconrad

Re: Matt 7:14 - τι

Post by cwconrad »

David Lim wrote:
BYZ/WHNU wrote:[Matt 7] [14] τι στενη η πυλη και τεθλιμμενη η οδος η απαγουσα εις την ζωην και ολιγοι εισιν οι ευρισκοντες αυτην
I can't figure out what "τι" is doing there.. Is it an adverbial interrogative determiner such that "τι στενη" means "how narrow"? Or is it an adverbial interrogative particle such that "τι στενη η πυλη και τεθλιμμενη η οδος η απαγουσα εις την ζωην" means "why, narrow [is] the gate and constricted [is] the path that leads into the life"? Or could it be that "οτι" was intended, as TR has it? LSJ says:
LSJ wrote:IV. τί as exclamatory Adv., how . . ! “τί ὡραιώθησαν σιαγόνες σου ὡς τρυγόνες” LXX Ca.1.10, cf. 4.10; τί θέλω how I wish! Ev.Luc.12.49; τί στενή v.l. in Ev.Matt.7.14.
But the first two are not quite the same as the third. Moreover can these three mean "why, ..." instead? Or does anyone think that "οτι" is the original? ;)
LSJ is closer; note that it is citing Biblical texts -- GNT and LXX. This seems to be a Semitism.
BDAG, s.v. τίς infram:

3. exclamatory expression of extent or degree, how! adv. τί (transl. of Hebr. מָה; W-S. §21, 4; B-D-F §299, 4; Rob. 739; 1176; LXX [Ps 3:2; SSol 1:10; 7:7; 2 Km 6:20]; Basilius, Hexaëm. p. 8b MPG τί καλὴ ἡ τάξις [s. JTrunk, De Basilio Magno sermonis Attici imitatore: Wissensch. Beilage z. Jahresber. d. Gymn. Ehingen a. D. 1911, 36]) τί στενή Mt 7:14; τί θέλω Lk 12:49 (s. θέλω 1, end, and Black, Aramaic Approach3, ’67, 121–24).—M-M. EDNT.

Not quite the same, but somewhat similar is colloquial English: "What a shame!" or "What a strange thing!" -- where the interrogative word expresses a degree of wonderment.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

cwconrad wrote:
David Lim wrote:
LSJ is closer; note that it is citing Biblical texts -- GNT and LXX. This seems to be a Semitism.
BDAG, s.v. τίς infram:

3. exclamatory expression of extent or degree, how! adv. τί (transl. of Hebr. מָה; W-S. §21, 4; B-D-F §299, 4; Rob. 739; 1176; LXX [Ps 3:2; SSol 1:10; 7:7; 2 Km 6:20]; Basilius, Hexaëm. p. 8b MPG τί καλὴ ἡ τάξις [s. JTrunk, De Basilio Magno sermonis Attici imitatore: Wissensch. Beilage z. Jahresber. d. Gymn. Ehingen a. D. 1911, 36]) τί στενή Mt 7:14; τί θέλω Lk 12:49 (s. θέλω 1, end, and Black, Aramaic Approach3, ’67, 121–24).—M-M. EDNT.

Not quite the same, but somewhat similar is colloquial English: "What a shame!" or "What a strange thing!" -- where the interrogative word expresses a degree of wonderment.
Okay I get it, thanks! I think SS 7:7 was the clearest. But what is "2 Km 6:20"?
δαυιδ λιμ
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

David Lim wrote:[Okay I get it, thanks! I think SS 7:7 was the clearest. But what is "2 Km 6:20"?
2 Km (2 Kingdoms) 6:20 = 2 Sam 6:20:

2Sam. 6:20 καὶ ἐπέστρεψεν Δαυιδ εὐλογῆσαι τὸν οἶκον αὐτοῦ, καὶ ἐξῆλθεν Μελχολ ἡ θυγάτηρ Σαουλ εἰς ἀπάντησιν Δαυιδ καὶ εὐλόγησεν αὐτὸν καὶ εἶπεν Τί δεδόξασται σήμερον ὁ βασιλεὺς Ισραηλ, ὃς ἀπεκαλύφθη σήμερον ἐν ὀφθαλμοῖς παιδισκῶν τῶν δούλων ἑαυτοῦ, καθὼς ἀποκαλύπτεται ἀποκαλυφθεὶς εἷς τῶν ὀρχουμένων.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Mark Lightman

Post by Mark Lightman »

Or does anyone think that "οτι" is the original? ;)
Hi, David,

Westcott-Hort do, in one of the rare cases where they agree with the T.R. against both NA and RP. But Michael Holmes is the latest guy to think that ὅτι is original.

[ Note: Changed accentuation of οτι from ὃτι to ὅτι. - Jason Hare ]

Return to “What does this text mean?”