Definition of ὁσος and where is it in the bible?

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
Jacob Rhoden

Definition of ὁσος and where is it in the bible?

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

The word from Duff chapter 5, defined as "ὁσος — as great, how great, as much, how much" can't be found when I search the SBL greek NT in Logos by typing "ὁσος" or "οσος" in the Logos search box. Duff says this word appears in the NT 110 times.

I don't know much about the logos search, so I am wondering if its in the NT with a different form. I notice if I try ὁσον, and ὁσους, I can find some results, but in these cases it doesn't seem to have the same sense as the Duff definition, i.e.:

"Do wedding guests mourn while[ὁσον] celebrating with the groom?" Mat 9:15
"I correct and discipline everyone[ὁσους] I love." Rev 3:19

I assume I am missing something obvious, but what?
timothy_p_mcmahon

Re: Definition of ὁσος and where is it in the bible?

Post by timothy_p_mcmahon »

I'm just learning λογος software so I can't help you too much, but if you can find a verse in which οσος occurs and right-click it you can look it up as a lemma - that should get you all the occurrences regardless of declined form.

As for the examples you found:

In Matthew 9:15, εφ οσον is short for εφ οσον χρονον, "for as much time as" the groom is with them; "while" is a more idiomatic rendering.

In Revelation 3:19, οσους εαν φιλω ελεγχω και παιδευω is "As many as I love, I correct and discipline" (in other words, the two groups, those beloved and those disciplined, consist of the same members). Compare Romans 8:14.
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

This word is more common in the plural, especially in the neuter nom/acc plural ὅσα.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Jacob Rhoden

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

When I see your "extended" English version of how to translate that word, it now makes much more sense. Thanks so much!

I bet Logos has a way to somehow search for οσ*, I'll work it out eventually I'm sure.

Thanks guys.
Louis L Sorenson

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

I've always found Smyth's A Greek Grammar's discussion of correlative pronouns valuable. http://www.ccel.org/s/smyth/grammar/htm ... ni.htm#340
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I find 111 instances in the SBLGNT, 110 in Nestle 1904.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Jacob Rhoden wrote:I bet Logos has a way to somehow search for οσ*, I'll work it out eventually I'm sure.
Or to search based on the lemma? I would expect it to do that fairly easily.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Jonathan Robie wrote:I find 111 instances in the SBLGNT, 110 in Nestle 1904.
One easy way to see them all see them all is to use laparola.net,
Jacob Rhoden

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

Jonathan Robie wrote:
Jacob Rhoden wrote:I bet Logos has a way to somehow search for οσ*, I'll work it out eventually I'm sure.
Or to search based on the lemma? I would expect it to do that fairly easily.
I downloaded the Accordance trial, and it can find all occurrences of the word just by typing in the box at the top. So I just went ahead and purchased Accordance. (Saves time compared to trying to learn how Logos works)
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

ὁσος is one of those words where just learning an Engish definition is not enough. It fulfills a role in the sentence and needs to understood as part of the whole sentence. It is used in certain syntactical patterns rather than simply having a meaning of its own. Together with other words, it sets up the structure of what is being said.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Return to “Beginners Forum”