Definition of ὁσος and where is it in the bible?

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
cwconrad

Re: Definition of ὁσος and where is it in the bible?

Post by cwconrad »

Stephen Hughes wrote:ὁσος is one of those words where just learning an Engish definition is not enough. It fulfills a role in the sentence and needs to understood as part of the whole sentence. It is used in certain syntactical patterns rather than simply having a meaning of its own. Together with other words, it sets up the structure of what is being said.
In Modern Greek it seems to me it's more or less an all-purposes relative pronoun; it seems to me that even in the GNT it often has overtones of "all that" or "whatever" (+ verb -- with or without ἄν + subj.).
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

In Modern Greek it seems to me it's more or less an all-purposes relative pronoun;
ὁποῖος is probably what you are thinking of. It was used in the katharevousa with the article as the relative. The standard Modern Greek is που.
Last edited by Stephen Hughes on March 30th, 2015, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Stephen Hughes wrote:
In Modern Greek it seems to me it's more or less an all-purposes relative pronoun;
ὀποῖος is probably what you are thinking of. It was used the katharevousa with the article as relative. The standard Modern Greek is που.
I stand corrected; that's where I usually stand.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

cwconrad wrote:
Stephen Hughes wrote:
ὀποῖος is probably what you are thinking of. It was used the katharevousa with the article as relative. The standard Modern Greek is που.
I stand corrected; that's where I usually stand.
没事。It's not a big deal.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Jacob Rhoden

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

Stephen Hughes wrote:ὁσος is one of those words where just learning an Engish definition is not enough. It fulfills a role in the sentence and needs to understood as part of the whole sentence. It is used in certain syntactical patterns rather than simply having a meaning of its own. Together with other words, it sets up the structure of what is being said.
Thanks Stephen, I suspected as much. For some words that seem a bit abstract/vague I am trying to start find sentences I can read that demonstrate usage of the word. (Something I wish the textbooks would do). At the moment finding sentences in the New Testament that demonstrate a word that I can fully understand are quite few, but it _seems_ possible most of the time.

Return to “Beginners Forum”