Seeing the world in Greek

How can I best learn new vocabulary items? What aids are there and what pitfalls should be avoided? How does a beginner learn to use a lexicon?
Jonathan Robie

Re: Seeing the world in Greek

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Stephen Hughes wrote:
Jonathan Robie wrote:My personal preference is historically accurate pictures that could be used to draw people into the world in which the language was used - I would love to have lots of pictures along this line that are historically accurate and freely distributable.
Isn't their an Ulpan where people go to see life as it was? Photos from that might serve the purpose.
Looks like pinterest is pretty useful for this ... I was able to pull together a combination of pictures and simple line illustrations on a variety of things fairly quickly:

https://www.pinterest.com/jonathanrobie ... ent-greek/

I didn't figure out how to screen for copyright restrictions with pinterest, fair use would probably apply to some situations, but be careful with these images.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Jonathan Robie wrote:ks like pinterest is pretty useful for this ...

Is there a way to organise images, like what Eeli suggested where different people could add similar images into the same place. Then a range of interpretations of a word could be offered together. Another consideration for organisation is that I guess some people will be like me and want to captions to the graphic, while other would want to add them as text.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Mark Lightman

Post by Mark Lightman »

Stephen Hughes wrote:If you would like to share with others the way you see things in Greek, you could join me in this thread.

ἐκ θυρίδος πίπτει οὖτος. τὸ ὄνομα αὐτοῦ Εὔτυχος. οὐκ εὐτυχεῖ, ἀλλὰ δυστυχεῖ.

ἰδὼν τὸν Ἰησοῦν ἔτι βρέφος ὄντα, χαίρει δὴ οὖτος διότι τὸν Χριστὸν ἑώρακε. νῦν δ' ἔτοιμος θανεῖν.

τῷ Θεῷ προσεύχεται αὕτη, τὰς χεῖρας ἐπαίρουσα. τοὺς δ' ὀδόντας οὐκ ἔχει.
Thomas Dolhanty

Post by Thomas Dolhanty »

Mark Lightman wrote:
Stephen Hughes wrote:If you would like to share with others the way you see things in Greek, you could join me in this thread.

ἐκ θυρίδος πίπτει οὖτος. τὸ ὄνομα αὐτοῦ Εὔτυχος. οὐκ εὐτυχεῖ, ἀλλὰ δυστυχεῖ.
Nice, Mark!

It is not the image alone which is most effective, but the combination of image and words. That is the genius of cartoons, and the image which evokes most from the imagination is often the most useful for teaching, because of the interest that it creates, and because of the language possibilities it provides. This incidentally, applies also to very well done cartoons which have no words at all, because of the ‘words’ such cartoons evoke in the imagination of the beholder.

I suspect this is why Jonathan used an image ἐν μόσχῳ καὶ ὄνῳ ἐπὶ τὸ αὐτό pulling the plow – notwithstanding the stricture of Deuteronomy 22:10. The image evokes interest.

You could easily teach a whole class using just the image above with a 1) section that asked students to find the words from the focus text that best describe it, 2) another section with a play on the name as Mark has done, and still 3) another ‘fun’ section where you could ask which of the following phrases best describe the image and why do you think so:

• ἐκφεύγει ὁ κλέπτης
• ἔβαλον τὸν νεανίσκον διὰ τῆς θυρίδος
• ἰδοὺ μήτηρ, οὐχὶ χεῖρες

For a more advanced class, you could ask for students (perhaps in groups) to write a phrase to go with the image.

I think it was Paul Nitz who said a while back that cartoons are more effective than simple photos, and I agree with that as a general observation because of the interest and mental pictures which a cartoon can evoke. For the same reason, I would rather have a very interesting image, than a flat one which is deemed to be more reflective of the context of the Biblical text. Students will remember evocative images about which there was much discussion and even some laughter and therefore they will remember the lesson and the language associated with the image.
γράφω μαθεῖν
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
  1. ὑπὲρ τοῦ ὕδατος
  2. ἐπὶ τοῦ ὕδατος
  3. ἐπὶ τῶν ὑδάτων
  4. εἰς τὸ ὕδωρ
  5. ἐν τῷ ῥεύματι
  6. ἐν τῷ κοφίνῳ
[These pictures were taken by my student Simpson in the Hill Tract Region of Eastern Bangladesh].
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Here is a picture I came across to illustrate διαστρέφειν τὸ πρόσωπον "make faces".
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bamf0rd/9722162223
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

ImageImageImageImage
  1. τῷ βραχίονι αὐτοῦ / ἐναγκαλισάμενος τὸ θυγάτριον αὐτοῦ
  2. τὸ σκεῦος τὸ ἐπάνω τῆς κεφαλῆς αὐτῆς
  3. ὁδὸς μακρά / συνέκαμψεν τὸν νῶτον αὐτοῦ
  4. ἐπὶ νῶτον
[These pictures also were taken by my student]
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

ImageImageImageImageImage

[These pictures also were taken by my student and captioned by me]
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

ImageImageImage
  1. ἡ δοκός / κεραία
  2. χλωρά
  3. κατὰ τὴν δασεῖαν ὀρεινήν
[These pictures also were taken by my student and captioned by me]
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

ImageImageImageImageImage
  1. ὅρμος
  2. παραδοσιακὸν μαγειρεῖον
  3. φιλικὸς ἀγών
  4. θνητὸς ἦν
  5. ἐν τῷ Ἐθνικῷ Πανεπιστημίῳ τῆς Αὐστραλίας (ANU, Canberra)

Return to “Vocabulary”