Matt 10:41-42 - εις ονομα

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
David Lim

Matt 10:41-42 - εις ονομα

Post by David Lim »

[Matt 10] [41] ο δεχομενος προφητην εις ονομα προφητου μισθον προφητου ληψεται και ο δεχομενος δικαιον εις ονομα δικαιου μισθον δικαιου ληψεται [42] και ος εαν ποτιση ενα των μικρων τουτων ποτηριον ψυχρου μονον εις ονομα μαθητου αμην λεγω υμιν ου μη απολεση τον μισθον αυτου
I have another question about this preposition :) Does "εις ονομα" mean "for (for the reason of) [the] name" or is it equivalent to "εν ονοματι"?
δαυιδ λιμ
Chris Engelsma

Re: Matt 10:41-42 - εις ονομα

Post by Chris Engelsma »

My guess is that it is just a general reference. A pointer. The one r/cs the prophet with reference to his office as a prophet.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Chris Engelsma wrote:My guess is that it is just a general reference. A pointer. The one r/cs the prophet with reference to his office as a prophet.
What is r/cs? Could you avoid using abbreviations unless you either define them or they are so common that we should all know them?
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Jason Hare wrote: What is r/cs? Could you avoid using abbreviations unless you either define them or they are so common that we should all know them?
My guess is that r/cs = references.

But I could be wrong, as I occasionally am... :lol:
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

David Lim wrote:
[Matt 10] [41] ο δεχομενος προφητην εις ονομα προφητου μισθον προφητου ληψεται και ο δεχομενος δικαιον εις ονομα δικαιου μισθον δικαιου ληψεται [42] και ος εαν ποτιση ενα των μικρων τουτων ποτηριον ψυχρου μονον εις ονομα μαθητου αμην λεγω υμιν ου μη απολεση τον μισθον αυτου
I have another question about this preposition :) Does "εις ονομα" mean "for (for the reason of) [the] name" or is it equivalent to "εν ονοματι"?
Hmm any opinions on this question? :) What I was trying to ask is: Does "ο δεχομενος προφητην εις ονομα προφητου" imply "the [one] who receives [a] prophet for [the reason that it is] [the] name of [a] prophet" or does it imply "the [one] who receives [a] prophet [who comes] in [the] name of [a] prophet"?
δαυιδ λιμ
Mark Lightman

Post by Mark Lightman »

Hi, David,

The ABE Modern Greek for Mt. 10:41a is

ὅποιος δέχεται προφήτην, διότι εἶναι προφήτης...
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Mark Lightman wrote:Hi, David,

The ABE Modern Greek for Mt. 10:41a is

ὅποιος δέχεται προφήτην, διότι εἶναι προφήτης...
I surmise it is almost equivalent ("inasmuch as it is") to what I guessed ("for [the reason that is")?
δαυιδ λιμ

Return to “What does this text mean?”