1 Cor 9:5

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Alan Patterson

1 Cor 9:5

Post by Alan Patterson »

Is there anything in 1 Cor 9:5 that provides any data regarding Paul's marital status?

μη ουκ εχομεν εξουσιαν αδελφην γυναικα περιαγειν ως και οι λοιποι αποστολοι και οι αδελφοι του κυριου και κηφας

Specifically, εχομεν and ως και οι λοιποι αποστολοι. Does ως και οι λοιποι αποστολοι imply anything about Paul's marital status, especially ως?
χαρις υμιν και ειρηνη,
Alan Patterson
timothy_p_mcmahon

Re: 1 Cor 9:5

Post by timothy_p_mcmahon »

Alan:

I don't think this sentence in itself implies either that Paul is married or that he's unmarried. If all we had was this sentence as a papyrus fragment, we could read it either to the effect that "I'm not married because I choose to be unmarried, not because I don't have the right to marry" or that "I have as much right as any other apostle to be married so don't hassle me for being married." But since this is not an isolated fragment, we can ascertain from chapter 7 that it's the former.

Return to “New Testament”