searching the forum OR a scripture index

Questions and discussion about B-Greek policies or the B-Greek forum.
Scott Wells

searching the forum OR a scripture index

Post by Scott Wells »

I typically use B-Greek for insight on a passage I am preparing to preach. Thus I use it more like a reference tool one would pull off the shelf. Along that line I noted a previous post that mentioned using Google advanced search instead of the search facility within B-Greek, and have used that with some success. However, I'm never sure if I should use the entire book name or an abbreviation (e.g., Matthew 1:25, Matt 1:25, Mat 1:25, Mt 1:25) or do several searches, one on each form. Is there a scripture index for the forum anywhere or is searching the best method?
Jonathan Robie

Re: searching the forum OR a scripture index

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Google Advanced Search is helpful for this.

https://www.google.com/advanced_search

Or you can just use site:ibiblio.org/bgreek (if you want the old mailing list posts as well as the forum) or site:ibiblio.org/bgreek/forum (if you want just the forum) like this:
Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 1.54.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 1.54.08 PM.png (14.6 KiB) Viewed 10918 times
I once had a custom search box that did this on the B-Greek forum, but it got lost during upgrades. I might restore it when I find time, I've been heads-down on the Jupyter work lately.
Scott Wells wrote: December 23rd, 2017, 1:07 pm However, I'm never sure if I should use the entire book name or an abbreviation (e.g., Matthew 1:25, Matt 1:25, Mat 1:25, Mt 1:25) or do several searches, one on each form. Is there a scripture index for the forum anywhere or is searching the best method?
Ideally, someone should create a scripture index. I am not doing that soon, so if anyone wants to volunteer ... ideally with a system that is automatically updated ... that would be great. I have had this in the back of my mind for a long time but haven't gotten around to it.

I generally search for Greek words rather than book names, but if you search for a book name, you probably need more than one variant. I don't think Google recognizes the various abbreviations or the name of a book.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “Questions”