Colloquia of the Hermeneumata Pseudodositheana

Greek texts such as the New Testament, The Greek Old Testament (Septuagint/LXX), Patristic Greek texts, Papyri, and other Greek writings of the New Testament era. Discussion must focus on the Greek text, not on modern language translations, theological controversies, or textual criticism.
Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Barry Hofstetter

Colloquia of the Hermeneumata Pseudodositheana

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Working through the Colloquia of the Hermeneumata Pseudodositheana, mainly mining it for interesting sections to spring on my Latin students, found this in the Greek:

ἑνεχυρον θέλεις; μὴ γένοιτο, οὐ χρείαν ἔχω...

Lest you thought Paul was the only one ever to say μὴ γένοιτο!

Lee Irons on Facebook pointed out that the phrase appears a number of times in Epictetus, and someone else mentioned that it can even be heard in modern Greek, but finding it in late third century text was for me pretty amazing (but I have a very low fun threshold).

The Colloquia was a collection of "teaching manuscripts" mostly designed to teach Greek speakers Latin. There are paralleld columns in Greek and Latin, and the students were apparently expected to memorize the phrases. It even includes in at least one manuscript paradigms, although they go backwards from our perspective, starting at the 3rd singular. It was truly sermo cottidiana for both languages as spoken in the late 3rd and early 4th centuries C.E.

Eleanor Dickey has done a great deal of work on these, including the critical edition of the manuscripts (if you want to spend that much), but some popular textbook level materials as well.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Rogelio Toledo Martin

Re: Colloquia of the Hermeneumata Pseudodositheana

Post by Rogelio Toledo Martin »

"Lest you thought Paul was the only one ever to say μὴ γένοιτο!"

Hi!

I´m pretty sure I've seen that μὴ γένοιτο either in Aristophanes (Frogs) or Lucian (Dialogues of the gods). I'll check out.
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: May 19th, 2018, 9:54 am Lest you thought Paul was the only one ever to say μὴ γένοιτο!
No need to leave the New Testament to find a non-Pauline usage. It's found in Luke 20:16.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Stephen Carlson wrote: April 21st, 2019, 7:28 pm No need to leave the New Testament to find a non-Pauline usage. It's found in Luke 20:16.
Good catch, and just saw it in OT LXX reading this morning, Josh 22:29...
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Benjamin Kantor

Post by Benjamin Kantor »

Very nice.

I love the colloquia and am in them every week.

I've actually made some cartoons (probably around 4 or so) in Koine Greek based on taking small portions of the colloquia verbatim:

https://www.koinegreek.com/post/the-col ... om-daily-l

or see on youtube:

https://youtu.be/7rFnqFe4e8w
For Koine Greek recordings and videos:

https://www.KoineGreek.com

Return to “Greek Texts”