First time visit

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
b.guerrero

First time visit

Post by b.guerrero »

Good Morning to all,
This is my first visit and I am thankful to see recent activity. I am a new Greek lover and in my first semester. I have many more questions than answers so please bear with me as I learn. I am in search of an answer this morning that I am sure you will push your chair back and chuckle. That is Ok, laugh with me all you please, I am facing a mid-term in 3 days and for my piece of mind I need an answer.
On a study guide for the exam, the statement is made "Be able to identify the tense, voice, mood, person, number, lexical form, and a translation of εἰμί in the imperfect or aorist active indicative verb form, I have everything in control except for the aorist indicative of εἰμί. Can you help me?
Thank you in advance for anyone who has time and the guidance to assist. May the Lord richly bless you even if you can't.
Barry Hofstetter

Re: First time visit

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Welcome, good to have you here. To answer your question, there is no aorist of εἰμί. The aorist is supplied by other forms such as the aorist of γίνομαι (ἐγενόμην).
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
b.guerrero

Post by b.guerrero »

Thank you so much, I finally also received a reply from my Professor.
I appreciate you timely response. I guess it is obvious I am totally new, but also committed to learn.
Once again, thank you for your kindness.
Belinda Guerrero
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

b.guerrero wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 8:14 am Thank you so much, I finally also received a reply from my Professor.
I appreciate you timely response. I guess it is obvious I am totally new, but also committed to learn.
Once again, thank you for your kindness.
Belinda Guerrero
Dear Belinda,
Welcome to B-Greek
in case your professor didn't go into the details - the Aorist tends to indicate a completed or one-point action, but εἰμι tends to imply "continuous" ("being") state or action, "I am (in process)". So for a completed action in the past the Greeks thought "I became" rather than "I was . . . "
Hope this makes sense.
Shirley Rollinson
b.guerrero

Post by b.guerrero »

Good Morning Ms. Rollinson,
It does help to create a foundation on which I am building a greater understanding. It seems the greater my foundation the more I can put things into a proper prospective. Thank you so much for your help.
Belinda Guerrero

Return to “Introductions”