Introduction and question about databases.

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Malcom Goodwin

Introduction and question about databases.

Post by Malcom Goodwin »

Dear All,

Firstly an Introduction. I am a scientist by background, but completed my BTh and later my MA in Theology at University of Roehampton in London UK. I am a Healthcare Business Consultant advising on commercial and operational areas connected with Pathology and point of care.

I have recently read a paper by Michael Svigel which was published in 2004: “Christ as 'Αρχή in Revelation 3:14” Michael J. Svigel BlBLlOTHECA SACRA 161 (April-June 2004): 215-31,

this is a very comprehensive review of data to corroborate or refute the BDAG 3rd Edition (English) change from "possible" to "probable" (not reflected in the 6th Edition in German which the 3rd edition of English was based on!!). Svigel refutes this notion with a constellation of evidences.

My question to the esteemed learned members is this. In science, I can cross check who has cited this paper since publication in eg pubmed data bases. I found this paper through ATLA Religion database, but it doesn't seem to have a section for subsequent citation. Can anyone advise if there is such a database anywhere or if ATLA has that functionality as I would like to check if anyone has reviewed and interacted with this paper in academia.

Similarly, if anyone has any knowledge of others interacting with it outside of academia that too would be welcome.

Many thanks. Its good to be back on B-Greek! :D

Yours

Malcolm Goodwin
Stephen Carlson

Re: Introduction and question about databases.

Post by Stephen Carlson »

There are (or used to be) some general purpose citation databases for the humanities, but I haven't looked at them in over twenty years and can't remember their name. ATLA doesn't have this feature as far as I aware. And, unlike the sciences, scholars in the humanities are not evaluated on their citations, so there isn't the demand for this kind of service in this field.

Normally, I just use Google Books and Google Scholar if I want to follow up on the impact of an article. (I can tell you now that Bibliotheca Sacra has a fairly low impact in terms of subsequent citations, so I would not expect this article to be cited by any but the most thorough scholars.)
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia

Return to “Introductions”