ἔνδοξος and εὐδόκησεν

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
Robin

ἔνδοξος and εὐδόκησεν

Post by Robin »

What is the difference between ἔνδοξος (held in honor, glorious) and εὐδόκησεν (to be well-pleased) ?

ἔνδοξος (G1741) = ἐν (G1722) + δόξα (1391).
εὐδόκησεν (G2106) = εὖ (G2095) + δοκέω (G1380)
timothy_p_mcmahon

Re: ἔνδοξος and εὐδόκησεν

Post by timothy_p_mcmahon »

The most obvious difference is that ἔνδοξος is an adjective while εὐδόκησεν is a verb.

The two words are related to each other in that both incorporate the root δοκ-, which has to do with thought, opinion, that sort of thing.
Robin

Post by Robin »

ἔνδοξος (G1741) translates הָלַל (H1984) Hallel(ujah) or תְּהִלָּה (Psalms in Hebrew is תְּהִלִּים Tehillim, "praises")
Robin

Post by Robin »

One of the title of Jesus is "Altogether lovely" from Song of Solomon 5:16

Hebrew מַחְמָד (machmad) in Song of Solomon 5:16 translates to Greek ἔνδοξος (G1741).
timothy_p_mcmahon

Post by timothy_p_mcmahon »

I’m not sure in what text you’re finding ἔνδοξος in SS 5:16. Both Swete and Rahlfs have ἐπιθυμία, ‘desire’, for מַחְמָד. (As for what the Song has to do with Jesus, that’s a theological issue.) Nor do I see in what psalm ἔνδοξος renders any form of הלל. The only occurrence of ἔνδοξος I can find in Psalms is 149:8, where it renders נכבד, which, in parallel to מלכים, ‘kings’, appears to mean ‘nobles’ or ‘bigwigs’ or such.)

Please clarify.

ἔνδοξος does render מַחְמָד in Isaiah 64:10.

LXX translations of Hebrew words can inform our understanding of the meanings of the Greek words, especially religiously significant terms, but one must be cautious in taking that approach, as sometimes the LXX rendering is pretty loose, other times it's based on a different Hebrew Vorlage, and sometimes (imo) it's just incorrect.
Robin

Post by Robin »

Thanks for your comment:

The following Bible website "Study Light". Shows Hebrew מַחְמָד (machmad) translates to Greek G1741 ‑ ἔνδοξος (en'‑dox‑os)

https://www.studylight.org/lexicons/hebrew/4261.html

Following web site shows title of Jesus. It Shows
"Yea. He is altogether lovely. This is my beloved and my Friend Sgs 5:16"
https://www.blueletterbible.org/study/p ... aral19.cfm
Robin

Post by Robin »

Psalms in Hebrew is called תְּהִלִּים‬, (Tehillim, "praises")

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psalms

תְּהִלִּים‬ is from הָלַל (H1984)

I think תְּהִלִּים is from the Hebrew word תְּהִלָּה (H8416. tehillah-praise ) which is from הָלַל (H1984 - halal- praise)
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Song of Solomon 5:16 does not contain the word ἔνδοξος in the LXX.

Robin, your posts, and especially your citation of Strong's concordance numbers, suggests to me that you have not actually studied the language. Please be aware that B-Greek serves those who either have or are in the process of actually learning ancient Greek. Looking up words in concordances and asking theologically conditioned questions doesn't count.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Robin

Post by Robin »

LXX translates מַחֲמַדִּ֑ים in Song of Solomon 5:16 to επιθυμία

LXX translates מַחֲמַדֵּ֖ינוּ in Isaiah 64:11 to ένδοξα.

LXX translates חָמַד in Psalm 68:16 to ευδόκησεν

I am interested in finding the link between these words.

The following Bible website "Study Light". Shows Hebrew מַחְמָד (machmad) translates to only ‑ ἔνδοξος
https://www.studylight.org/lexicons/hebrew/4261.html
Robin

Post by Robin »

What is a good source for LXX translation of Greek words to Hebrew word.

"Study Light" website shows Hebrew מַחְמָד (machmad) translates to only ‑ ἔνδοξος. I do not know why it is not showing επιθυμία

Return to “Beginners Forum”