Intro D Brown - help re Root words

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
D Brown

Intro D Brown - help re Root words

Post by D Brown »

Greetings,

I know basically nothing of Greek except what Strong's and Vines dictionary has explained to me.
I am hoping that will change as I learn more.

I stumbled upon this site while looking for some help regarding root words and their parent child relationship.
For example: How much does a child word have to conform to the meaning of the parent root word.

The specific word and derivatives I am interested in is: τέλος Telos - from Tello - to set out for a definite point or goal.
However I am likely to have to do some study on how Greek root words function.
Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave - Toronto
MAubrey

Re: Intro D Brown - help re Root words

Post by MAubrey »

Roots are an unreliable source of information about the meaning of words. The only wany to determine the meaning of a word is its own use in context, not his roots or etymology.

Best spend your time studying word meaning elsewhere.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Shirley Rollinson

Re: Intro D Brown - help re Root words

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

D Brown wrote: December 26th, 2018, 3:54 pm Greetings,

I know basically nothing of Greek except what Strong's and Vines dictionary has explained to me.
I am hoping that will change as I learn more.

I stumbled upon this site while looking for some help regarding root words and their parent child relationship.
For example: How much does a child word have to conform to the meaning of the parent root word.

The specific word and derivatives I am interested in is: τέλος Telos - from Tello - to set out for a definite point or goal.
However I am likely to have to do some study on how Greek root words function.
Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave - Toronto
Yassas - Hi - Dave,
Welcome to B-Greek
Probably your best course would be to start learning the language and reading parts of the New Testament in Greek - if you want to try, you're welcome to try the Online Textbook at http://www.drshirley.org/greek/textbook02/index.html
Shirley Rollinson

Return to “Introductions”