Works on the infinitive

Biblical Greek morphology and syntax, aspect, linguistics, discourse analysis, and related topics
Matthew Longhorn

Works on the infinitive

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

Hi all, can anyone recommend any good works on the infinitive from a linguistic viewpoint? I am currently reading Lovelady's dissertation on tagmemics and the infinitive but was wondering if there is anything newer.
I also am going to re-read Denny Burke's book, and have Clyde Votaw and Hamilton Ford Allen's books on order for good measure
MAubrey

Re: Works on the infinitive

Post by MAubrey »

Burke's book isn't great.

There isn't a lot out there though on Greek specifically.

I would, however, highly recommend Nikolaeva's edited volume: Finiteness: Theoretical and Empirical Foundations

https://amzn.to/2M6XyWe

And Sonia Cristofaro has some essays/articles on infinitive complementation (as well as implementation generally). She's a specialize in Ancient Greek, but also the typology of subordination strategies.

http://unipv.academia.edu/soniacristofaro
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Matthew Longhorn

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

Thanks for both suggestions Mike. I will get onto them (based on the price I will be getting the kindle version only on the first link!!!!)

subordination strategies sounds useful given that most work I have read so far hasn’t really explained why you would use the infinitive with an article to portray a temporal sense when a finite form could have done as well in some instances.
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

Matthew Longhorn wrote: January 13th, 2019, 5:41 pm Thanks for both suggestions Mike. I will get onto them (based on the price I will be getting the kindle version only on the first link!!!!)
Used is $14! Always buy used for hardcovers. You then have a chance of getting a first printing that's sewn rather than glued.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com

Return to “Greek Language and Linguistics”