1 Samuel 14:14

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Saboi

1 Samuel 14:14

Post by Saboi »

καὶ ἐγενήθη ἡ πληγὴ ἡ πρώτη ἣν ἐπάταξεν Ιωναθαν καὶ ὁ αἴρων τὰ σκεύη αὐτοῦ ὡς εἴκοσι ἄνδρες ἐν βολίσι καὶ ἐν πετροβόλοις καὶ ἐν κόχλαξιν τοῦ πεδίου

So randomly browsing the Septuagint i came across this odd verse and the King James reads "within as it were a half-acre of land, which a yoke of oxen might plow" and other translations read "an area that measured half an acre".

The Septuagint produces πετροβόλοις & κόχλαξιν "rocks", but i found one verse where חצץ means pebbles
and that is in proverbs 20:17 - γλυκύ ἀνδρὶ λάγανα ψευδοῦς πεδά πλήσει ἀμπνοά ψήφῳ "fill the mouth with pebbles"
and the pun here is ψήφῳ"pebbles" and ψίξ "morsel" (פת). ψῑχός λάγανα/פת־לחם (Gen 18:5).

ὡς ψηφίζει ζεύγους ἡμιόνων εν τῷ πεδίῳ "like counting yoke of mules in a field"

I know that word means Mule because Genesis 36:24 reads "mules in the wilderness" and the names in this verse are puns on donkeys, ζευγῶν/Σεβεγων, ὄνος/Ωνας (ענה) and הימם for τήν ἡμίονον the Septuagint reads as τὰ ὑποζύγια and Σεβεγων was the son of σάτυρος a name for Esau, since σάτυρος is diminutive of δάσους.
Lee Magee
Jonathan Robie

Re: 1 Samuel 14:14

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Moderator Action

We do not want B-Greek to be used for this project. I am locking these threads.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha”