Acts 13:48

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
savedbygrace

Acts 13:48

Post by savedbygrace »

Moderator Note I have allowed this post through, but:

1) Please contact a moderator about changing your screen name to your real name, per B-Greek policy.

2) Please remember that the primary purpose of B-Greek is to discuss the Greek, and not theology.

--BH

Hello all. I am new here. I have heard two different understandings of Acts 13:48, and they each change the word order. I am wondering if the Greek text could help answer the problem.

Acts 13:48 (NKJV) reads, "Now when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and glorified the word of the Lord. And as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed."

The Greek (TR) reads, "ἀκούοντα δὲ τὰ ἔθνη ἔχαιρον καὶ ἐδόξαζον τὸν λόγον τοῦ Κυρίου καὶ ἐπίστευσαν ὅσοι ἦσαν τεταγμένοι εἰς ζωὴν αἰώνιον"

I have heard it read exactly like the NKJV has it, but I have also heard it read as "As many as believed, had been appointed to eternal life"

Obviously one understanding lends to the Calvinist view point, while the other the Arminianist view point. Since I do not want to add any of my own personal beliefs to the text, I would much rather know what it actually SAYS. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Acts 13:48

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

The NKJV expresses a correct understanding of the Greek text. Essentially, the relative pronoun ὅσοι (as many as, whoever) governs the verb ἦσαν τεταγμένοι (were appointed). What you've heard, "As many as believed, had been appointed to eternal life" reverses the clauses, and is an impossible reading of the Greek text.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.

Return to “What does this text mean?”