Greetings

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Brian Mitchell

Greetings

Post by Brian Mitchell »

Greetings –

After getting frustrated last year while reading Raymond Brown’s “The Death of the Messiah” because I realized that the late Fr. Brown found value in knowing Greek but I simply could not understand his arguments, I decided to learn some Greek. And what started as an intention to learn some basics of Greek snowballed into a desire to be able to read the GNT “comfortably”. So over the last 14 months, I have worked my way thru Thornhill Chadwick’s “Greek for Everyone”, David Alan Black’s “Learn to Read New Testament Greek”, Richard Goodrich’s “A Summer Greek Reader”, and Kostenberger et. al.’s “Going Deeper with New Testament Greek”.

Currently I am working to cement my knowledge with regular reading of the Greek New Testament, while also learning more about topics in linguistics (lexical semantics, voice, aspect, etc.). This is definitely a side interest for me as my day time occupation is that of a research engineer (PhD Stanford).

Brian.
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Greetings

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Welcome to B-Greek, Brian.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Paul-Nitz

Post by Paul-Nitz »

Brian,
You are a determined learner! Here are some suggested resources to look into.

Smyth, H. W. (1920). A Greek grammar for colleges. Retrieved from www.textkit.com

It is a comprehensive reference grammar with a very good index.
It’s the sort of book I found so valuable that I printed and bound it. It sits by my desk.
The PDF is available at TEXTKIT.COM. For other versions, and a long discussion about the book, see http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/forum/vie ... 0&start=20

Coderch, J. (2012). Classical Greek: a new grammar : Greek grammar taught and explained, with examples. Charleston: Createspace.
A little known, modern, very clear mid-level reference grammar.

I was stunned to find out today that Coderch has made this available FREE as a pdf. http://coderch-greek-latin-grammar.weebly.com/

Runge, S. E. (2010). Discourse Grammar of the Greek New Testament: A Practical Introduction for Teaching and Exegesis. Lexham Press.
It is based on linguistics and it is understandable (an oxymoron, I know, but true none-the-less). It changed the way I view important words, such as καὶ, δὲ.
Sample of Runge book: http://www.ntdiscourse.org/docs/Discour ... sample.pdf
Paul D. Nitz - Lilongwe Malawi
Brian Mitchell

Post by Brian Mitchell »

Thanks for the suggestions Paul.

While working thru Black's textbook I found myself rather intrigued by morphology and found myself reading thru sections of Smyth (and Mounce's MGB) in response.

Runge's book is currently only my desk, but I have not had time to start reading. I look into Coderch.
Dr. Brian Mitchell

Return to “Introductions”