New Linguistic Theories to learn

Biblical Greek morphology and syntax, aspect, linguistics, discourse analysis, and related topics
Jonathan Robie

Re: New Linguistic Theories to learn

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Matthew Longhorn wrote: December 1st, 2018, 4:17 am On a semi-related note, at some point I am going to have to take the dive down the rabbit hole and start reading work on second language acquisition. Has anyone else found this a benefit for teaching introductory Greek?
Absolutely.

In particular, I have benefited from SIOP and ESL/SSL, learning mostly from Micheal Palmer, and TPR/TPRS, learning from Randall Buth and Christophe Ricco. Ricco's book is pretty helpful if you want a textbook that uses modern approaches to teaching language.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Matthew Longhorn

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

Thanks Jonathan, I will check these out
Paul-Nitz

Post by Paul-Nitz »

Matthew Longhorn wrote: December 1st, 2018, 4:17 am On a semi-related note, at some point I am going to have to take the dive down the rabbit hole and start reading work on second language acquisition. Has anyone else found this a benefit for teaching introductory Greek?
Yes, it has been helpful in my teaching. Starting points might be listening to the podcast "Tea With BVP" by Bill Van Patten and reading Shawn Loewen's book, Instructed Second Language Acquisition (ISLA). Links below.

Total Physical Response (TPR), TPR Storytelling (TPRS), are Where Are Your Keys (WAYK) are communicative methods I use. Learning about ISLA has greatly sharpened my understanding of whythese methods work and allowed me to be creative in using them and coming up with alternate strategies.
A hasty list of concepts that are useful to understand, include:
  • How vocabulary is acquired in ISLA settings versus submersion settings,

The debate on whether explicit instruction can result in implicit knowledge.

The value of constructing situations in which learners must use the target language to negotiate meaning (which is the basis of the biggest new method in ISLA, Task Based Teaching and Learning - TBLT).

Language learning assessment.
http://www.teawithbvp.com/

Paul D. Nitz - Lilongwe Malawi
Matthew Longhorn

Crikey! Large list, thanks for taking the time there Paul
Friedrich

Post by Friedrich »

Hi Matthew

There is a newly published article by Timothy Brookins where he utilizes Cognitive Linguistics to critique Porter and Campbell on excluding time in the grammaticalization of the Greek verb:
Brookins, T. 2018. A tense discussion: rethinking grammaticalization of time in Greek indicative verbs. JSTOR.

I thought it was really helpful and was applied to Koine Greek, particularly Paul's epistles.

Kind regards
Friedrich
Matthew Longhorn

I actually read that a month or so back and thought it was a really good article. I have been looking at examples that Porter would see as indicating no tense in the light of this and have found it to be a good rebuttal

Thanks for flagging it

I am currently working through William Croft’s book Verbs Aspect and Causal Structure as a non-Greek linguistic view and that is also really heavily influencing my views. His focus on event construal as a cognitive phenomena really makes me doubt Porter’s rejection of the value of Vendler Kennedy type typology.

Return to “Greek Language and Linguistics”