Isaiah Chapter 29

This is a B-Greek reading Group for the LXX Isaiah. This reading group is going through two chapters of the LXX Isaiah per week. Ken Penner, the B-Greek moderator for the "Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha Forum" is writing a commentary on the LXX Isaiah and is sharing his notes with those who wish to read the Isaiah LXX. Dive in, if you dare!
Ken M. Penner

Isaiah Chapter 29

Post by Ken M. Penner »

168. Woe to Ariel (29:1-4)
29.1 Οὐαὶ πόλις Ἀριὴλ, ἣν Δαυὶδ ἐπολέμησεν· συναγάγετε γενήματα ἐνιαυτὸν ἐπʼ ἐνιαυτόν, φάγεσθε, φάγεσθε γὰρ σὺν Μωάβ. 2 ἐκλείψω γὰρ Ἀριήλ, καὶ ἔσται αὐτῆς ἡ ἰσχὺς καὶ τὸ πλοῦτος ἐμοί. 3 καὶ κυκλώσω ὡς Δαυιδ ἐπὶ σὲ καὶ βαλῶ περὶ σὲ χάρακα καὶ θήσω περὶ σὲ πύργους, 4 καὶ ταπεινωθήσονται οἱ λόγοι σου εἰς τὴν γῆν, καὶ εἰς τὴν γῆν οἱ λόγοι σου δύσονται· καὶ ἔσται ὡς οἱ φωνοῦντες ἐκ τῆς γῆς ἡ φωνή σου, καὶ πρὸς τὸ ἔδαφος ἡ φωνή σου ἀσθενήσει.

169. The wealth of the impious is ephemeral (29:5-8)
5 Καὶ ἔσται ὡς κονιορτὸς ἀπὸ τροχοῦ ὁ πλοῦτος τῶν ἀσεβῶν καὶ ὡς χνοῦς φερόμενος, καὶ ἔσται ὡς στιγμὴ παραχρῆμα 6 παρὰ Κυρίου Σαβαώθ· ἐπισκοπὴ γὰρ ἔσται μετὰ βροτῆς καὶ σεισμοῦ καὶ φωνῆς μεγάλης, καταιγὶς φερομένη καὶ φλὸξ πυρὸς κατεσθίουσα. 7 καὶ ἔσται ὡς ἐνυπνιαζόμενος ἐν ὕπνῳ ὁ πλοῦτος τῶν ἐθνῶν πάντων, ὅσοι ἐπεστράτευσαν ἐπὶ Ἰσραήλ, καὶ πάντες οἱ στρατευόμενοι ἐπὶ Ἰερουσαλήμ καὶ πάντες οἱ συνηγμένοι ἐπʼ αὐτὴν καὶ θλίβοντες αὐτήν. 8 καὶ ἔσονται ὡς οἱ ἐν τῷ ὕπνῳ πίνοντες καὶ ἔσθοντες, καὶ ἐξαναστάντων ματαίων αὐτῶν τὸ ἐνύπνιον, καὶ ὃν τρόπον ἐνυπνιάζεται ὁ διψῶν ὡς πίνων καὶ ἐξαναστὰς ἔτι διψᾷ, ἡ δὲ ψυχὴ αὐτοῦ εἰς κενὸν ἤλπισεν, οὕτως ἔσται ὁ πλοῦτος πάντων τῶν ἐθνῶν, ὅσοι ἐπεστράτευσαν ἐπὶ τὸ ὄρος Σιών.

170. Lord makes you imperceptive (29:9-10)
9 Ἐκλύθητε καὶ ἔστητε καὶ κραιπαλήσατε οὐκ ἀπὸ σίκερα οὐδὲ ἀπὸ οἴνου· 10 ὅτι πεπότικεν ὑμᾶς Κύριος πνεύμα κατανύξεως καὶ καμμύσει τοὺς ὀφθαλμοὺς αὐτῶν καὶ τῶν προφητῶν αὐτῶν καὶ τῶν ἀρχόντων αὐτῶν, οἱ ὁρῶντες τὰ κρυπτά.
171. Incomprehensible sayings (29:11-12)
11 καὶ ἔσται ὑμῖν τὰ ῥήματα πάντα ταῦτα ὡς οἱ λόγοι τοῦ βιβλίου τούτου τοῦ ἐσφραγισμένου, ὃ ἐὰν δῶσιν αὐτὸ ἀνθρώπῳ ἐπισταμένῳ γράμματα λέγοντες Ἀνάγνωθι ταῦ τοῦτο· καὶ ἐρεῖ Οὐ δύναμαι ἀναγνῶναι, ἐσφράγισται γάρ. 12 καὶ δοθήσεται τὸ βιβλίον τοῦτο εἰς χεῖρας ἀνθρώπου μὴ ἐπισταμένου γράμματα, καὶ ἐρεῖ αὐτῷ Ἀνάγνωθι ταῦτα· καὶ ἐρεῖ Οὐκ ἐπίσταμαι γράμματα.

172. Hypocrisy of the “wise” (29:13-14)
13 Καὶ εἶπεν Κύριος Ἐγγίζει μου ὁ λαὸς οὗτος τοῖς χείλεσιν αὐτῶν τιμοῦσίν με, ἡ δὲ καρδία αὐτῶν πόρρω ἀπέχει ἀπʼ ἐμοῦ, μάτην δὲ σέβονταί με διδάσκοντες ἐντάλματα ἀνθρώπων καὶ διδασκαλίας. 14 διὰ τοῦτο ἰδοὺ ἐγὼ προσθήσω τοῦ μεταθεῖναι τὸν λαὸν τοῦτον καὶ μεταθήσω αὐτοὺς καὶ ἀπολῶ τὴν σοφίαν τῶν σοφῶν καὶ τὴν σύνεσιν τῶν συνετῶν κρύψω.

173. Woe to schemers (29:15-17)
15 Οὐαὶ οἱ βαθέως βουλὴν ποιοῦντες καὶ οὐ διὰ Κυρίου.

Οὐαὶ οἱ ἐν κρυφῇ βουλὴν ποιοῦντες καὶ ἔσται ἐν σκότει τὰ ἔργα αὐτῶν καὶ ἐροῦσιν Τίς ἡμᾶς ἑώρακεν καὶ τίς γνώσεται ἃ ἡμεῖς ποιοῦμεν;

16 Οὐχ ὡς ὁ πηλὸς τοῦ κεραμέως λογισθήσεται; μὴ ἐρεῖ τὸ πλάσμα τῷ πλάσαντι Οὐ σοι με ἔπλασας; ἢ τὸ ποίημα τῷ ποιήσαντι Οὐ συνετῶς με ἐποίησας; 17 οὐκέτι μικρὸν καὶ μετατεθήσεται ὁ Λίβανος ὡς τὸ ὄρος τὸ Χερμέλ, καὶ τὸ Χελμὲλ εἰς δρυμὸν λογισθήσεται;

174. Fortunes will be reversed on that day (29:18-21)
18 Καὶ ἀκούσονται ἐν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ἐκείνῃ κωφοὶ λόγους βιβλίου, καὶ οἱ ἐν τῷ σκότει καὶ οἱ ἐν τῇ ὁμίχλῃ ὀφθαλμοὶ τυφλῶν ὄψονται· 19 καὶ ἀγαλλιάσονται πτωχοὶ διὰ Κύριον ἐν εὐφροσύνῃ, καὶ οἱ ἀπηλπισμένοι τῶν ἀνθρώπων ἐμπλησθήσονται εὐφροσύνης. 20 ἐξέλιπεν ἄνομος, καὶ ἀπώλετο ὑπερήφανος, καὶ ἐξωλεθρεύθησαν οἱ ἀνομοῦντες ἐπὶ κακίᾳ.

21 Καὶ οἱ ποιοῦντες ἁμαρτεῖν ἀνθρώπους ἐν λόγῳ· πάντας δὲ τοὺς ἐλέγχοντας ἐν πύλαις πρόσκομμα θήσουσιν καὶ ἐπλαγίασαν ἐν ἀδίκοις δίκαιον.

175. The house of Jacob will sanctify their God (29:22-24)

22 Διὰ τοῦτο τάδε λέγει Κύριος ἐπὶ τὸν οἶκον Ἰακώβ, ὃν ἀφώρισεν ἐξ Ἀβραάμ Οὐ νῦν αἰσχυνθήσεται Ἰακώβ οὐδὲ νῦν τὸ πρόσωπον μεταβαλεῖ Ἰσραήλ· 23 ἀλλὰ τὰ νῦν δῶσιν τὰ τέκνα αὐτῶν τὰ ἔργα μου, διʼ ἐμὲ ἁγιάσουσιν τὸ ὄνομά μου καὶ ἁγιάσουσιν τὸν ἅγιον Ἰακώβ καὶ τὸν θεὸν Ἰσραὴλ φοβηθήσονται. 24 καὶ γνώσονται οἱ τῷ πνεύματι πλανώμενοι σύνεσιν, οἱ δὲ γογγύζοντες μαθήσονται ὑπακούειν Κυρίῳ, καὶ αἱ γλῶσσαι αἱ ψελλίζουσαι μαθήσονται λαλεῖν εἰρήνην.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Ken M. Penner

Isaiah Chapter 29 translation

Post by Ken M. Penner »

168. Woe to Ariel (29:1-4)
29.1 Woe to you, city of Ariel, against which David waged war! Gather produce year after year, you will eat, for you will eat with Moab. 2 for I will forsake Ariel, and its strength and wealth will be mine. 3 And like David I will surround you; and I will set up an entrenched camp around you, and I will put towers around you. 4 And your words will be brought down into the earth, and your words will sink into the earth, and your voice will be like those who call from the earth, and your voice will be weak, towards the ground.

169. The wealth of the impious is ephemeral (29:5-8)
5 And the wealth of the impious will be like a cloud of dust from a wheel, and like dust carried along, and it will be like a moment, immediately 6 from Lord Sabaoth. For there will be an inspection, with thunder and quaking and a great sound, a rushing storm and a consuming flame of fire. 7 And the wealth of all the nations will be like one who dreams during sleep, as many as marched against Israel and all those who wage war against Jerusalem and all those who had gathered together against it and oppressed it. 8 And will be like those who drink and eat in their sleep, and when they awake their dream is to no avail. And in the same way that the one who is thirsty dreams as if he is drinking, and when he awakes he is still thirsty and his soul has hoped in vain, so will be the wealth of all the nations, as many as marched against the mountain of Sion.

170. Lord makes you imperceptive (29:9-10)

9 Be feeble and out of your senses, and be intoxicated not from sikera or from wine. 10 Because Lord has made you drunk with a wind of bewilderment; and he will close the eyes of them and of their prophets and of their leaders, those who see the secrets.
171. Incomprehensible sayings (29:11-12)
11 And all these sayings will be for you like the words of this sealed document, which if they give it to a person who understands letters, saying, Read these things! he will say, I am not able to read it, for it has been sealed. 12 And this document will be given into the hands of a person who does not understand letters, and he will say to him, Read this T! and he will say, I do not understand letters.

172. Hypocrisy of the “wise” (29:13-14)
13 And Lord said, This people approaches me; with their lips they honour me, but their heart stays far away from me. And they act piously toward me to no avail, teaching rules and instructions of humans. 14 Because of this, look, I will continue to change this people, and I will change them and I will destroy the wisdom of the wise and I will hide the intelligence of the intelligent.

173. Woe to schemers (29:15-17)
15 Woe, those who make deliberation deeply and not through Lord!

Woe, those who make deliberation in secret; also their deeds will be in darkness! And they will say, Who has seen us and who will know what we are doing?

16 Will it not be reckoned as the clay of the potter? Will the shape say to the one shaping it, You did not shape me for you, or the thing made to the one making it, You did not make me intelligently. 17 In what is no longer a little while, Lebanon will be changed like Mount Chermel, and Chelmel will be considered a forest.

174. Fortunes will be reversed on that day (29:18-21)
18 And on that day, the deaf will hear the words of a document, and in the darkness and in the fog the eyes of the blind will see. 19 And the poor will rejoice with gladness because of Lord, and those people who are despairing will be filled with gladness. 20 A lawless person has failed and an arrogant person has perished, and those acting lawlessly in vice have been utterly destroyed.

21 And those who cause people to sin in word. But they will set up an obstacle for all those who reprove in the gates, and they have turned aside a just person by unjust means.

175. The house of Jacob will sanctify their God (29:22-24)
22 Because of this, thus says Lord about the house of Iakob, which he set apart from Abraham: Not now will Iakob be ashamed, and not now will Israel change its face. 23 Rather, now their children might give my deeds. They will sanctify my name because of me, and they will sanctify the holy one of Iakob and they will fear the God of Israel. 24 And those who wander by the wind will know intelligence, and those who grumble will learn to listen, and the faltering tongues will learn to speak peace.
Ken M. Penner
David Lim

Re: Isaiah Chapter 29 translation

Post by David Lim »

Ken M. Penner wrote:17 In what is no longer a little while, Lebanon will be changed like Mount Chermel, and Chelmel will be considered a forest.
Just something minor: is "Chelmel" supposed to be "Chermel"?
δαυιδ λιμ
Ken M. Penner

Re: Isaiah Chapter 29 translation

Post by Ken M. Penner »

David Lim wrote:Just something minor: is "Chelmel" supposed to be "Chermel"?
τὸ Χελμὲλ was what was originally written in Codex Sinaiticus, but corrector cb2 changed it to τὸ ὄρος Χερμὲλ, with A (Rahlfs, Ziegler); B has τὸ Χερμὲλ.
Here's a photo showing two instances of the word. The second line has the correction, replacing the Λ with the Ρ . Notice the different pen shape used by the corrector.
29.17 Χερμελ.jpg
29.17 Χερμελ.jpg (5.68 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
Ken M. Penner

Return to “Series on Isaiah”