Print Versions of the Greek NT / OT-LXX

Lexicons, Grammars, Reading Guides, History, Culture, and Background
Louis L Sorenson

Print Versions of the Greek NT / OT-LXX

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

This post is intended to be a thread on the various print editions of the Greek NT and OT, and combined volumes. I remember someone (maybe on the old list) telling about a combination Greek LXX/NT volume. I'm looking for a print OT/NT to carry with me to church. What is your favorite Greek NT or Greek OT?

1) LXX: I own the old 2 vol version of Rahlfs. Septuaginta (Deutsche Bibelstiftung Stuttgart). The print is easy on my eyes, the pages thick enough to turn, but too big to carry around -- each volume is about 2 inches thick. I've got an iphone now, and use Logos' software Original Languages version, and can read it also there, but I still like a print version.
2) NT: Nestle-Aland 27. (I hear the 28th version is coming out soon). I only own a little 4x6 in. version. It is very portable (about the same size as a Loeb Library book). But the print is small for my aging eyes. What is my best option? I know several versions are available -- I don't like to write in my books, so the Wide Margin version does not help me. I love the textual notes in Nestle.

Any suggestions? I'm making a Christmas list for myself for my kids. I would really like a OT/NT Greek bible to take to church.
dlwheel

Re: Print Versions of the Greek NT / OT-LXX

Post by dlwheel »

Louis,
Thanks for the post. I'll be listening in to see what others say. For me I finally had my UBS3 (1975) rebound by Mechling Bookbindery (http://www.mechlingbooks.com). I still have my small NA25 (awful script) that I learned with. I gravitated to the UBS3 as I found it so much easier to read; the OT references are bold, as well. It obviously lacks the NA27 apparatus, but I'm using the CNTTS and other tools for that anyway.

Now that I've started reading the MT more seriously, I got a copy of Biblia Sacra thinking I would have it rebound one day if it worked out. However the pages are so thin and the copy is so thick it doesn't seem practical. I'm still using it for reading the OT for now but not carrying it around much. I'd like to know if the similar sized BHS uses better quality paper than the NT/OT edition. If so, I may opt for carrying individual volumes of the NT & the MT.

I do like to note lemma 1-3 in the NT and 1-49 in the MT in the margins. When I do this with the Biblia Sacra the pages literally roll up. My UBS3 handles it just fine. I always use a .3mm pencil and can erase whenever necessary.
refe

Post by refe »

I know that most don't read the from the Byzantine tradition so this may not be much help, but the Robinson/Pierpont edition of the Byzantine Textform is in my humble opinion the most visually attractive edition of the GNT that I have come across. It has a beautiful font, big clear text, and thick white pages. It's probably as big as a book can be while still being portable, and it is hardcover and pretty durable. I find myself carrying it around quite a bit despite the fact that it's not the 'preferred' critical text, just because it is so easy to read. If only ever GNT was as readable as this one. Hopefully publishers of the UBS and NA27 will recognize how beautiful the Greek text can be and we'll get to see more visually attractive editions being published.
James Spinti

Post by James Spinti »

Personally, I like the large print NA 27. It's easy on the eyes and the paper is thick enough that it doesn't bleed. I also own the Biblia Sacra, but rarely use it because of the print size. I also own a small and large BHS. I use the large one, again because of the print size.

Someone asked about the paper thickness in the the small BHS; it is the same as the BHS large. I never had any issues with it--and I've had it since about 1985 or so. I just moved back to the large print 4-5 years ago.

The UBS reader's GNT is a nice edition--if you like reader's editions. The Zondervan one doesn't have nearly as legible a font or layout--and they use Bible paper : ( If you like the Byzantine text, the Robinson-Pierpont is a very nicely done volume.

As for the LXX, I wish DBG would re-issue the 2 volume one! I have both the old Rahlf's one volume and the new Editio Altera one. They are both nice, but too small for my old eyes to read comfortably--consequently, I rarely consult them; I use Accordance or BibleWorks instead (even though I prefer print over electronic).

Hope that helps!
James
Proofreading and copyediting of ancient Near Eastern and biblical studies monographs
dlwheel

Post by dlwheel »

James,
Is the small BHS the same print as the Bib Sac?
RandallButh

Post by RandallButh »

Thirty-five+ years ago I used to bind copies of an MT and GNT together. They worked well and I did two or three versions. But over the years as editions wear out I haven't bothered to bind up more. Ironically, although I used to request that UBS bind BHS and NA/UBS together, when they finally did so I didn't get a copy. They were just too expensive. I find that I am happy carrying separate texts.

In fact, I prefer little Horev editions of the MT. They are a real Masoretic text without the poetic formatting in BHS that sometimes goes against the MT. They also have proper formatting for synagogue readers. The Horev editions are based on the Aleppo Codex where extant, another plus over BHS. Do I miss the footnotes? Not usually. The footnotes were usually frustrating, requiring one to check out the texts in context anyway. Biggest plus is size and cost. The little 3.5"x6" costs about $12-13 and the 5.25"x7.5" costs around $20. Two other great editions that we recommend for students are the Feldheim tana"x simanim. They are a little bulkier than the Horev, using easier-reading thicker paper, and I don't usually carry them. However, they minutely distinguish vocal from silent shva, qamats, and fill in accented syllables when the ta`am and accent don't land on the same syllable.

With separate bindings, I can then choose whenever I want to carry an LXX along, too.

Two things I lack--
a. a nice, small, easy-reading Byz GNT. I give the Byz alot more credit these days than I used to. The truth is probably somewhere between the Alex/NA and the Byz, so it's a bit of a coin toss. But I do appreciate reading Byz. You know that Homer's "Byz text" is often as good or better than the Alex-edited Homer text.
b. a nicely layed out Synopsis like the Aland edition, but using the Byz text. The gospel pericopai are truly complicated and it would help to have a Byz layout ready at hand.

So all you publishers out there, and students wanting a project, can mull over this 'wish list'.

ἔρρωσθε
James Spinti

Post by James Spinti »

Yes. The small BHS is the same size as the Biblia Sacra version.
Proofreading and copyediting of ancient Near Eastern and biblical studies monographs
refe

Post by refe »

RandallButh wrote: In fact, I prefer little Horev editions of the MT. They are a real Masoretic text without the poetic formatting in BHS that sometimes goes against the MT. They also have proper formatting for synagogue readers. The Horev editions are based on the Aleppo Codex where extant, another plus over BHS. Do I miss the footnotes? Not usually. The footnotes were usually frustrating, requiring one to check out the texts in context anyway. Biggest plus is size and cost. The little 3.5"x6" costs about $12-13 and the 5.25"x7.5" costs around $20. Two other great editions that we recommend for students are the Feldheim tana"x simanim. They are a little bulkier than the Horev, using easier-reading thicker paper, and I don't usually carry them. However, they minutely distinguish vocal from silent shva, qamats, and fill in accented syllables when the ta`am and accent don't land on the same syllable.
What are the Horev editions? I can't seem to find them by searching online. Do you have a link to somewhere I could check them out?
RandallButh

Post by RandallButh »

In fact, I prefer little Horev editions of the MT. They are a real Masoretic text without the poetic formatting in BHS that sometimes goes against the MT. They also have proper formatting for synagogue readers. The Horev editions are based on the Aleppo Codex where extant, another plus over BHS. Do I miss the footnotes? Not usually. The footnotes were usually frustrating, requiring one to check out the texts in context anyway. Biggest plus is size and cost. The little 3.5"x6" costs about $12-13 and the 5.25"x7.5" costs around $20. Two other great editions that we recommend for students are the Feldheim tana"x simanim. They are a little bulkier than the Horev, using easier-reading thicker paper, and I don't usually carry them. However, they minutely distinguish vocal from silent shva, qamats, and fill in accented syllables when the ta`am and accent don't land on the same syllable.

What are the Horev editions? I can't seem to find them by searching online. Do you have a link to somewhere I could check them out?
Refe Tuma
I suppose that a good Jewish bookstore would carry them. The publisher is:
חורב POB 35325 Jerusalem

I've never tried ordering through the internet.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

They can be ordered online from Israel here:

http://www.aron-hasfarim.co.il/product. ... uctid=1230

They apparently come in three different sizes: large (גדול), medium (בינוני) and pocket (כיס).

Pocket-sized: 45 NIS (~$11.91 as of 12/21/11).
Medium-sized: 68 NIS (~$17.99)
Large-sized: 122 NIS (~$32.28)

(Just in case you were interested in finding it online and possibly ordering.)
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel

Return to “Books”