How to search better - cannot locate YSTERA

How can I best learn new vocabulary items? What aids are there and what pitfalls should be avoided? How does a beginner learn to use a lexicon?
Dean_Poulos

How to search better - cannot locate YSTERA

Post by Dean_Poulos »

Hello everyone,

I’m hoping someone can assist me with how to conduct a better search. Although a bit off topic, I can understand if this is not an appropriate question for the forum. If so, I will ask elsewhere but though it best to try here first since I’ll get the best answer.

With the exception of what I believe to be the most often used word for womb (cited below) in the Koine, two other words do come up [μήτρα MHTRA & γαστήρ GASTHR]. In modern, although [κοιλία KOILIA] has carried over for womb, people generally use it for belly, while [στομάχι STOMAXI] is used for stomach/belly and [μήτρα MHTRA] is specific to the uterus.

I cannot find anything in modern or BDAG that would lead me to believe [υστερία hYSTERIA] means womb. Nor have I ever heard the words [hystéra, υστέρα, hysterikos, υστερικός ] in modern and I cannot locate them in BDAG as uterus. Closest I can think of is Hysterics [ὑστερισμός, YSTERISMOS]

Although every dictionary lists the two words as defined below and although ἐκτομία (removal/cutting) is accurate, if asked the meaning of the Greek words compromising hysterectomy I’d be forced to answer “the removal of hysteria” and I cannot reason some type of semantic change, i.e., awe and full or being full of awe to awful. Any assistance on finding where or how a “hystera” became a womb would be appreciated. Thanks all.

“A hysterectomy (from Greek ὑστέρα hystera "womb" and εκτομία ektomia "a cutting out of")

hys•te•ria \his-ˈter-ē-ə, -ˈtir-\ noun
[New Latin, from English hysteric, adjective, from Latin hystericus, from Greek hysterikos, from hystera womb; from the Greek notion that hysteria was peculiar to women and caused by disturbances of the uterus] 1801 : a psychoneurosis marked by emotional excitability and disturbances of the psychic, sensory, vasomotor, and visceral functions.”

From BDAG:

“κοιλία, ας, ἡ (κοῖλος ‘hollow’; Hdt., Aristoph.+; loanw. in rabb.) in its broadest sense the ‘cavity’ of the body (Gen 3:14 w. στῆθος) that stores such organs as the stomach, intestines, and womb, then in ref. to such parts.

① the organ of nourishment

ⓐ the digestive tract in its fullest extent, belly, stomach (Jer 28:34; Ezk 3:3; Sir 36:18 al.) εἰς τὴν κ. χωρεῖν (cp. Plut., Mor. 699f εἴπερ εἰς κοιλίαν ἐχώρει διὰ στομάχου πᾶν τὸ πινόμενον. Even the last part of the alimentary canal is κ.: Herodian 1, 17, 10) Mt 15:17; cp. Mk 7:19.
ⓑ esp., the body’s receptacle for aliments, belly, stomach (so Diod S 2, 58, 3 between φάρυγξ [gullet] and σπλάγχνα [intestines]; Aelian, VH 1, 1 al.) of Jonah’s fish (Jon 2:1f; Just., D. 107, 2) Mt 12:40. Of the human stomach 1 Cor 6:13. γεμίσαι τὴν κ. ἔκ τινος fill the stomach w. someth. i.e. eat one’s fill of someth. Lk 15:16 v.l. Of the working of a scroll eaten by the writer of the Apc. (cp. Ezk 3:3) πικρανεῖ σου τὴν κ. Rv 10:9; cp. vs. 10; δουλεύειν τῇ κ. be a slave to one’s stomach Ro 16:18; ὧν ὁ θεὸς ἡ κ. whose god is their stomach Phil 3:19.

② womb, uterus (Epict. 2, 16, 43; 3, 22, 74; Dt 28:4, 11; Job 1:21; Ruth 1:11; TestJob 24:2) Lk 1:41, 44; 2:21; 11:27; 23:29; J 3:4; B 13:2 (Gen 25:23). ἐκ κοιλίας from birth i.e. from earliest youth (Judg 16:17 A; Is 49:1) Mt 19:12; Lk 1:15; Ac 3:2; 14:8; Gal 1:15; καρπὸς τῆς κ. fruit of the womb (cp. Mi 6:7; La 2:20) Lk 1:42.

③ seat of inward life, of feelings and desires, belly (but Eng. prefers the functional equivalent heart): κ. denotes the hidden, p 551 innermost recesses of the human body (=טֶןבֶּ Job 15:35; Pr 18:20; 20:27, 30; Sir 19:12; 51:21), so that a variation betw. κοιλία and καρδία becomes poss.: Ac 2:30 v.l. (κοιλία and καρδία for ὀσφῦς); Rv 10:9 (v.l. καρδία) (Hab 3:16; Ps 39:9; cp. schol. on Nicander, Alexipharmaca 21 τοῦ στόματος τῆς κοιλίας, ἣν οἱ μὲν καρδίαν καλοῦσιν, οἱ δὲ δοχεῖον τῶν ἐντέρων τῆς βρώσεως [καρδία of the upper opening of the stomach: Theocr. 2, 49]; PGM 4, 3141: the κοιλία is the place where the καρδία is found). ποταμοὶ ἐκ τῆς κ. αὐτοῦ ῥεύσουσιν ὕδατος ζῶντος rivers of living water shall flow from the person’s heart J 7:38 (thought of as a scripture quot., though its source can no longer be determined w. certainty. The expr. may be proverbial; cp. Cicero, De Orat. 2, 39 [162]. The κ. has often been taken to be that of the believer, but there is an increasing tendency to punctuate w. a period after ἐμέ in vs. 38 rather than after πινέτω at the end of vs. 37 [s. RSV mg. and NRSV text] and understand κ. of Jesus; s. Hdb. ad loc.; JJeremias, Golgotha 1926, 80–84; HBornhäuser, Sukka ’35, 34–39; Bultmann, Ev. d. Joh. ’41, 228–30. For patristic interpr., HRahner, Biblica 22, ’41, 269–302; 367–403. Differently, A-MDubarle, Vivre et Penser 3, ’43/44, 238–41). JBlenkinsopp, NTS 6, ’59, 95–99.—B. 253. DELG s.v. κοῖλος. M-M. TW.””

Thank you

Dean Poulos
Dean Poulos
Ken M. Penner

Re: How to search better - cannot locate YSTERA

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Dean_Poulos wrote: I cannot find anything in modern or BDAG that would lead me to believe [υστερία hYSTERIA] means womb. Nor have I ever heard the words [hystéra, υστέρα, hysterikos, υστερικός ] in modern and I cannot locate them in BDAG as uterus. Closest I can think of is Hysterics [ὑστερισμός, YSTERISMOS]
hys•te•ria \his-ˈter-ē-ə, -ˈtir-\ noun
[New Latin, from English hysteric, adjective, from Latin hystericus, from Greek hysterikos, from hystera womb; from the Greek notion that hysteria was peculiar to women and caused by disturbances of the uterus] 1801 : a psychoneurosis marked by emotional excitability and disturbances of the psychic, sensory, vasomotor, and visceral functions.”
BDAG may not have an entry for ὑστέρα, but LSJ does. See http://stephanus.tlg.uci.edu/lsj/lsj.ht ... ontext=lsj
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
George F Somsel

Post by George F Somsel »

ὑστέρα, Ion. ὑστέρη, ἡ, womb, Hp.VM22, Aph.5.22, Arist.HA493a25, Thphr.HP9.13.3, Sor.1.2, etc.; freq. in pl. ὑστέραι, Ion. gen. -έων, Hdt.4.109, Hp.Coac.515, Pl.Ti.91c:—with a play on the Adj. ὑστέρα (the second woman), Ath.13.585d.
2. ovary of animals, Arist.GA720a26, Arist.HA511a22; of birds, ib. 564b21; reptiles, ib. 508a13; fishes, ib. 566a7. (Lit. the upper or protruding part, Skt. úttaras ‘upper’, Comp. of úd ‘upwards’; so also Skt. udáram ‘belly’; cf. ὕστρος· γαστήρ, Hsch.; or perh. ἡ ὑ. (sc. μήτρα or δελφύς) the back part.)

Liddell, Henry George, Robert Scott, Henry Stuart Jones and Roderick McKenzie. A Greek-English Lexicon. Oxford; New York: Clarendon Press;, 1996.
george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
learn truth, love truth, speak the truth, hold the truth,
defend the truth till death.

- Jan Hus
Dean_Poulos

Re: How to search better - cannot locate USTERA

Post by Dean_Poulos »

Ken, George, thank you... (I think the question is answered. Don't rely on only one resource and be mindful of the accurate b-Greek Translit!) U not Y

ὑστέρα , Ion. ὑστέρη , ἡ, A. womb, Hp.VM22, Aph.5.22, Arist.HA 493a25, Thphr.HP9.13.3, Sor.1.2, etc.; freq. in pl. ὑστέραι, Ion. gen. -έων, Hdt.4.109, Hp.Coac.515, Pl.Ti.91c:—with a play on the Adj. ὑστέρα (the second woman), Ath.13.585d.

2. ovary of animals, Arist.GA720a26, HA511a22; of birds, ib.564b21; reptiles, ib.508a13; fishes, ib.566a7. (Lit. the upper or protruding part, Skt. úttaras 'upper', Comp. of úd 'upwards'; so also Skt. udáram 'belly'; cf. ὕστρος: γαστήρ, Hsch.; or perh. ἡ ὑ. (sc. μήτρα or δελφύς) the back part.)

Henry George Liddell. Robert Scott. A Greek-English Lexicon. revised and augmented throughout by. Sir Henry Stuart Jones. with the assistance of. Roderick McKenzie. Oxford. Clarendon Press. 1940. [[The National Science Foundation provided support for entering this text.]]

Dean Poulos
Dean Poulos
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

The vocabulary of the NT is not large enough to identify a lot of the roots for modern medical terminology and other use of Greek, but the LSJ classical dictionary will have them.

Stephen
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia

Return to “Vocabulary”