Frederick W. Danker, RIP

Anything related to Biblical Greek that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Stephen Carlson

Frederick W. Danker, RIP

Post by Stephen Carlson »

I just heard the sad news that Fred Danker, the editor of the latest edition of the premier Greek-English Lexicon for the New Testament and early Christian Literature, has died. More information at Evangelical Textual Criticism.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
cwconrad

Re: Frederick W. Danker, RIP

Post by cwconrad »

This is sad; although we were neighbors of a sort in St. Louis, I only met the man once but I've talked with him and corresponded with him. He still bore that title of Professor Emeritus from Seminex -- Concordia Lutheran Seminary in Exile. What a monument he has left behind in BDAG, a classic aere perennius even if it should ever be surpassed.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
James Spinti

Post by James Spinti »

I met him but once also--at an SBL about 7 years ago. I told him that even when I wasn't using Greek professionally, I had been continually using his BAGD. He said he was glad to hear that not just professional scholars used it, but he convinced me on the spot to purchase BDAG : )
Proofreading and copyediting of ancient Near Eastern and biblical studies monographs
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I talked to him a handful of times on the phone, had email correspondence, and met him once at SBL. When he published BDAG, he sent me a free copy with an inscription, I really treasure that.

I just started a Wikipedia entry for him - amazingly, there wasn't one. Perhaps people can help me fill it in? Currently, it's only a template.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_William_Danker
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “Other”