Jon Davis Jr.

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
JonDavisJr

Jon Davis Jr.

Post by JonDavisJr »

I'm exploring ways to learn to study the Bible in the original Greek for the purpose of personal edification and teaching others Christianity with more accuracy and power.

I have been serving full-time in Christian Ministry since 1994. I mostly worked with having students through a Basic Christian Discipleship and Missions Course and then taking them overseas for a Missions Field Trip.
---------------------------
Jon Davis Jr.
The Gospel of Everything
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Jon Davis Jr.

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Jon, welcome. There are plenty of resources available for self and group study that you can learn about in these forums. One suggestion: if your goal is to use the Greek for theological purposes, you'll generally find yourself getting into trouble. If your goal is to learn Greek better to understand the NT, then you'll begin to see benefits in your own life and ministry. And that means learning Greek as a language as best you possibly can.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
JonDavisJr

Re: Jon Davis Jr.

Post by JonDavisJr »

Hello Barry, thanks for the welcome!

I am very curious about what you are saying.

What would be the difference between using Greek "for theological purposes" and learning Greek "better to understand the NT?"

My goal is to be able to understand the New Testament on a whole new level so that I can teach it more effectively. I would imagine that would include improved theology and sorting through some theological questions with an additional tool.

I suspect that there is something important you are trying to say, but I am not sure what it is.
---------------------------
Jon Davis Jr.
The Gospel of Everything

Return to “Introductions”