Isaiah Chapter 46

This is a B-Greek reading Group for the LXX Isaiah. This reading group is going through two chapters of the LXX Isaiah per week. Ken Penner, the B-Greek moderator for the "Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha Forum" is writing a commentary on the LXX Isaiah and is sharing his notes with those who wish to read the Isaiah LXX. Dive in, if you dare!
Ken M. Penner

Isaiah Chapter 46

Post by Ken M. Penner »

303. Bel and Dagon have fallen (46:1-2)
46.1 Ἔπεσε Βήλ, συνετρίβη Δαγών, ἐγένετο τὰ γλυπτὰ αὐτῶν εἰς θηρία καὶ κτήνη· αἴρετε αὐτὰ καταδεδεμένα ὡς φορτίον κοπιῶντι 2 καὶ πινῶντι οὐκ ἰσχύοντι ἐκλελυμένῳ ἅμα, οἳ οὐ δυνήσονται σωθῆναι ἀπὸ πολέμου, αὐτοὶ δὲ αἰχμάλωτοι ἤχθησαν.

304. I made you and lift you up (46:3-4)
3 Ἀκούετε, ὁ οἶκος τοῦ Ἰακὼβ καὶ πᾶν τὸ κατάλοιπον τοῦ Ἰσραήλ οἱ αἰρόμενοι ἐκ κοιλίας καὶ παιδευόμενοι ἐκ παιδίου· 4 ἕως γήρους ἐγώ εἰμι, καὶ ἕως ἂν καταγηράσητε, ἐγώ εἰμι· ἐγὼ ἀνέχομαι ὑμῶν, ἐγὼ ἐποίησα καὶ ἐγὼ ἀνήσω, ἐγὼ ἀναλήμψομαι καὶ σώσω ὑμᾶς.

305. Fabrications cannot save (46:5-7)
5 Τινί με ὁμοιώσατε. ἴδετε, ἴδετε τεχνάσασθε, οἱ πλανώμενοι. 6 οἱ συμβαλλόμενοι χρυσίον ἐκ μαρσιππίου καὶ ἀργύριον ἐν ζυγῷ στήσουσιν ἐν σταθμῷ καὶ μισθωσάμενοι χρυσοχόον ἐποίησαν χειροποίητα καὶ κύψας προσκυνεῖ αὐτῷ. 7 αἴρουσιν αὐτὸ ἐπὶ τῶν ὤμων, καὶ πορεύσονται· ἐὰν δὲ θῶσιν αὐτό, ἐπὶ τοῦ τόπου αὐτοῦ μένει, καὶ οὐ μὴ κινηθῇ· καὶ ἐὰν βοήσει πρὸς αὐτόν, οὐ μὴ ἀκούσῃ, ἀπὸ κακῶν οὐ μὴ σώσῃ αὐτόν.
306. I will do what I have decided (46:8-11)
8 μνήσθητε ταῦτα καὶ στενάξατε, μετανοήσατε, οἱ πεπλανημένοι, ἐπιστρέψατε τῇ καρδίᾳ. 9 καὶ μετανοήσατε μνήσθητε τὰ πρότερα ἀπὸ τοῦ αἰῶνος, ὅτι ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ θεός, καὶ οὐκ ἔστιν ἔτι πλὴν ἐμοῦ 10 ἀναγγέλλων πρότερον τὰ ἔσχατα πρὶν αὐτὰ γενέσθαι, καὶ ἅμα συνετελέσθη· καὶ εἶπα Πᾶσά μου ἡ βουλὴ στήσεται, καὶ πάντα, ὅσα βεβούλευμαι, ποιήσω· 11 καλῶν ἀπʼ ἀνατολῶν πετεινὸν καὶ ἀπὸ γῆς πόρρωθεν περὶ ὧν βεβούλευμαι, ἐλάλησα καὶ ἐποίησα, ἔκτισα καὶ ἐποίησα, ἤγαγον αὐτὸν καὶ εὐόδωσα τὴν ὁδὸν αὐτοῦ.

307. I have brought salvation to Israel (46:12-13)

12 Ἀκούσατέ μου, οἱ ἀπολωλεκότες τὴν καρδίαν οἱ μακρὰν ἀπὸ τῆς δικαιοσύνης. 13 ἤγγισα τὴν δικαιοσύνην μου καὶ τὴν ἀλήθειαν καὶ τὴν σωτηρίαν τὴν παρʼ ἐμοῦ οὐ βραδυνῶ· δέδωκα ἐν Σιὼν σωτηρίαν τῷ Ἰσραὴλ εἰς δόξαν.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Ken M. Penner

Textual notes on Isaiah 46:1-2

Post by Ken M. Penner »

46.1 Ἔπεσε Βήλ, συνετρίβη Δαγών, ἐγένετο τὰ γλυπτὰ αὐτῶν εἰς θηρία καὶ κτήνη· αἴρετε αὐτὰ καταδεδεμένα ὡς φορτίον κοπιῶντι 2 καὶ πινῶντι οὐκ ἰσχύοντι ἐκλελυμένῳ ἅμα, οἳ οὐ δυνήσονται σωθῆναι ἀπὸ πολέμου, αὐτοὶ δὲ αἰχμάλωτοι ἤχθησαν.
Δαγών] with A (R,Z); B has Ναβώ
κτήνη] with A (Rahlfs, Ziegler); B has τὰ κτήνη
καὶ πεινῶντι οὐκ ἰσχύοντι ἐκλελυμένῳ] changed by cb2 to καὶ πεινῶντι ἐκλελυμένῳ οὐκ ἰσχύοντι; A (Rahlfs, Ziegler) has καὶ πεινῶντι καὶ ἐκλελυμένῳ, οὐκ ἰσχύοντι; B has ἐκλελυμένῳ καὶ πεινῶντι, οὐκ ἰσχύοντι
δυνήσονται] with B (Rahlfs, Ziegler); A has μὴ δύνωνται
Ken M. Penner
Ken M. Penner

Textual notes on Isaiah 46:3-4

Post by Ken M. Penner »

3 Ἀκούετε, ὁ οἶκος τοῦ Ἰακὼβ καὶ πᾶν τὸ κατάλοιπον τοῦ Ἰσραήλ οἱ αἰρόμενοι ἐκ κοιλίας καὶ παιδευόμενοι ἐκ παιδίου· 4 ἕως γήρους ἐγώ εἰμι, καὶ ἕως ἂν καταγηράσητε, ἐγώ εἰμι· ἐγὼ ἀνέχομαι ὑμῶν, ἐγὼ ἐποίησα καὶ ἐγὼ ἀνήσω, ἐγὼ ἀναλήμψομαι καὶ σώσω ὑμᾶς.
Ἀκούετε] changed by cb2 to Ἀκούετέ μου, with B; and by d to Ἀκούσατέ μου, with A (Rahlfs, Ziegler)
ὁ οἶκος] A, B (Rahlfs, Ziegler) have οἶκος
ἐκ] with B (Rahlfs, Ziegler); A has ἀπὸ
γήρους] with B (Rahlfs, Ziegler); changed by cb3 to to γήρως, with A
Ken M. Penner
Ken M. Penner

Textual notes on Isaiah 46:5-7

Post by Ken M. Penner »

5 Τινί με ὁμοιώσατε. ἴδετε, ἴδετε τεχνάσασθε, οἱ πλανώμενοι. 6 οἱ συμβαλλόμενοι χρυσίον ἐκ μαρσιππίου καὶ ἀργύριον ἐν ζυγῷ στήσουσιν ἐν σταθμῷ καὶ μισθωσάμενοι χρυσοχόον ἐποίησαν χειροποίητα καὶ κύψας προσκυνεῖ αὐτῷ. 7 αἴρουσιν αὐτὸ ἐπὶ τῶν ὤμων, καὶ πορεύσονται· ἐὰν δὲ θῶσιν αὐτό, ἐπὶ τοῦ τόπου αὐτοῦ μένει, καὶ οὐ μὴ κινηθῇ· καὶ ἐὰν βοήσει πρὸς αὐτόν, οὐ μὴ ἀκούσῃ, ἀπὸ κακῶν οὐ μὴ σώσῃ αὐτόν.
Τινί με ὁμοιώσατε.] the lack of augment indicates the imperative, which makes a question out of the question. A, B have the question τίνι με ὡμοιώσατε;
ἴδετε, ἴδετε] changed by cb2 to ἴδετε, with A, B (Rahlfs, Ziegler)
μαρσιππίου] with B (Rahlfs, Ziegler); A has μαρσίππου
κύψας] changed by cb2 to κύψαντες, with A, B (Rahlfs, Ziegler)
προσκυνεῖ] changed by cb1 to προσκυνοῦσιν, with A, B (Rahlfs, Ziegler)
αὐτῷ] B (Rahlfs, Ziegler) has αὐτοῖς; A has αὐτό
τῶν ὤμων] with A (Rahlfs, Ziegler); B has τοῦ ὤμου
πορεύσονται] changed by cb2 to πορεύονται, with A, B (Rahlfs, Ziegler)
δὲ θῶσιν] with B (Rahlfs, Ziegler); A has θῶσιν
τόπου αὐτοῦ] changed by scribe B himself from τόπου
καὶ οὐ μὴ κινηθῇ] changed by cb2 to οὐ μὴ κινηθῇ, with A, B (Rahlfs, Ziegler)
καὶ ἐὰν] changed by ca to ὃς ἂν, with A (Rahlfs, Ziegler); B has καὶ ὃς ἐὰν
βοήσει] A, B (Rahlfs, Ziegler) have βοήσῃ
πρὸς] with B (Rahlfs, Ziegler); A has πρὸ
ἀκούσῃ] with A; changed by ca to εἰσακούσῃ, with B (Rahlfs, Ziegler)
σώσῃ] with B (Rahlfs, Ziegler); A has σώσει
Ken M. Penner
Ken M. Penner

Textual notes on Isaiah 46:8-11

Post by Ken M. Penner »

8 μνήσθητε ταῦτα καὶ στενάξατε, μετανοήσατε, οἱ πεπλανημένοι, ἐπιστρέψατε τῇ καρδίᾳ. 9 καὶ μετανοήσατε μνήσθητε τὰ πρότερα ἀπὸ τοῦ αἰῶνος, ὅτι ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ θεός, καὶ οὐκ ἔστιν ἔτι πλὴν ἐμοῦ 10 ἀναγγέλλων πρότερον τὰ ἔσχατα πρὶν αὐτὰ γενέσθαι, καὶ ἅμα συνετελέσθη· καὶ εἶπα Πᾶσά μου ἡ βουλὴ στήσεται, καὶ πάντα, ὅσα βεβούλευμαι, ποιήσω· 11 καλῶν ἀπʼ ἀνατολῶν πετεινὸν καὶ ἀπὸ γῆς πόρρωθεν περὶ ὧν βεβούλευμαι, ἐλάλησα καὶ ἐποίησα, ἔκτισα καὶ ἐποίησα, ἤγαγον αὐτὸν καὶ εὐόδωσα τὴν ὁδὸν αὐτοῦ.
μετανοήσατε] deleted by cb2; reinstated by cb3; A, B (Rahlfs, Ziegler) have μνήσθητε
γενέσθαι] with B (Rahlfs, Ziegler); A has γενέσθι
ἐλάλησα καὶ ἐποίησα] changed by cb2 to ἐλάλησα καὶ ἤγαγον, with A, B (Rahlfs, Ziegler); reverted to ἐλάλησα καὶ ἐποίησα by cb3
ἤγαγον αὐτὸν καὶ εὐόδωσα τὴν ὁδὸν αὐτοῦ] with A, B (Rahlfs); Ziegler omits these words from 48:15, with V and the Lucianic family.
Ken M. Penner
Ken M. Penner

Textual notes on Isaiah 46:12-13

Post by Ken M. Penner »

12 Ἀκούσατέ μου, οἱ ἀπολωλεκότες τὴν καρδίαν οἱ μακρὰν ἀπὸ τῆς δικαιοσύνης. 13 ἤγγισα τὴν δικαιοσύνην μου καὶ τὴν ἀλήθειαν καὶ τὴν σωτηρίαν τὴν παρʼ ἐμοῦ οὐ βραδυνῶ· δέδωκα ἐν Σιὼν σωτηρίαν τῷ Ἰσραὴλ εἰς δόξαν.
καὶ τὴν ἀλήθειαν] deleted by cb2, with A, B (Rahlfs, Ziegler); reinstated by cb3
δόξαν] changed by cb2 to δόξασμα, with A, B (Rahlfs, Ziegler); reverted by cb3 to δόξαν
Ken M. Penner
Ken M. Penner

Translation of Isaiah Chapter 46

Post by Ken M. Penner »

46.1 Bel has fallen, Dagon has been shattered. Their graven images became wild animals and cattle. Lift them up, bound like a burden for a weary 2 and thirsty person, lacking power, weary at the same time. who cannot be saved from war, but will be led captive.

3 Listen, house of Jacob and all the remnant of Israel who have been raised from the womb and trained from childhood4 until old age. I am the one, and until you have become old, I am the one. I put up with you; I made you and I will lift you up, I will take you up and save you.

5 Compare me to someone! Look, look! Be skilled, you who are deceived. 6 Those who contribute gold from a bag and silver in a scale will set it in a balance, and they hired a goldsmith and he made handmade things, and he worships it. 7 They lift it up on their shoulders and they will walk; and if they set it in its place, it stays in place, and it certainly does not get moved. And if he calls out to it, it does not hear; it certainly cannot save him from evil things.
8 Remember these things and groan; repent, you who have been deceived; turn in your heart, 9 and repent. Remember the former things from eternity, that I am God, and there is no other except me, 10 who proclaim beforehand the final things before they happen, and they are completed at once. And I said, All my counsel will stand, and I will do all the things I have decided, 11 calling a bird from the east and from a land from afar. Concerning which things I have decided. I spoke and made, I created and made; I led him and I prospered his path.

12 Listen to me, you who have destroyed the heart, who are far from righteousness. 13 I have brought my righteousness, and I will not delay the truth and the salvation which is from me. I have provided salvation to Israel in Sion for glory.
Ken M. Penner
Mark Lightman

Re: Isaiah Chapter 46

Post by Mark Lightman »

Hi, Ken,

You translate ἐγὼ ἀνέχομαι ὑμῶν in 46:4 as "I lft you up." In the middle and with the genitive, why wouldn't this mean "I put up with you, I endure you," as in the GNT and Epictetus. (ἀνέχου καὶ ἀπέχου.) ἀνέχω ὑμᾶς would mean "I lift you up."
Ken M. Penner

Re: Isaiah Chapter 46

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Mark Lightman wrote:You translate ἐγὼ ἀνέχομαι ὑμῶν in 46:4 as "I lft you up." In the middle and with the genitive, why wouldn't this mean "I put up with you, I endure you," as in the GNT and Epictetus. (ἀνέχου καὶ ἀπέχου.) ἀνέχω ὑμᾶς would mean "I lift you up."
Yes, of course. ἀνέχω appears only in the middle in Isaiah. I translated it in 42:14 as "be tolerant," and should do the same here, but that would eliminate the parallels with ἀνήσω and ἀναλήμψομαι. Perhaps "put up with" would still carry the play on words.
Thanks, Mark.
Ken M. Penner

Return to “Series on Isaiah”