What software doesn't do ....

Jonathan Robie

What software doesn't do ....

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Are there things you think software should do well, that aren't done well by any Bible study software you've used? If so, what?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Barry Hofstetter

Re: What software doesn't do ....

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Jonathan Robie wrote:Are there things you think software should do well, that aren't done well by any Bible study software you've used? If so, what?
What Software does do these days is amazing. However, I am more concerned with what people do with Software who have not had the training in the languages. This is a pet peeve of mine, since I often find people doing the right sorts of things with the software, in terms of searches, both semantic and morphological, but coming to conclusion that are just wrong. I am not sure I can quantify this, but electronic tools are best used by those who know the languages well, and can never be a substitute for really knowing the languages.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

When I work with a text, I like to have the text up front and center. I'd like to be able to add notes to the text, do searches and incorporate the results, etc. In other words, I'd like a good word processor for Greek texts, extended with the tools typically found in Bible software.

I'd also like to be able to share notes on a text easily with others over the Internet.

Are there tools that do these things well?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Lee Moses

Post by Lee Moses »

Jonathan Robie wrote:When I work with a text, I like to have the text up front and center. I'd like to be able to add notes to the text, do searches and incorporate the results, etc. In other words, I'd like a good word processor for Greek texts, extended with the tools typically found in Bible software.

I'd also like to be able to share notes on a text easily with others over the Internet.

I can't comment on sharing notes over the Internet, but the BibleWorks notes feature is outstanding. It's fairly simple to create hyperlinks to other verses in your notes. I have BibleWorks on a desktop and a laptop, so I have BW set to save my notes to my thumb drive.
Bill Ross

Post by Bill Ross »

My study usually involves finding the OT background of NT passages in the LXX and also investigating the NT usage of OT passages in the LXX. But because Bibles use the Hebrew OT there is undue effort in making the connections. My dream software, which has always seemed to me to be a modest dream yet unattainable, would allow me to search both the NT and LXX for all occurrences of a word in both regardless of the form of the word I enter.

Ideally:

* I'm reading the KJV and the passage seems obscure (that part isn't the ideal)
* the verse has 3 interesting words, like "sealed" or "stumble" so I want to see the OT background
* I right click and it presents the option, "Show all occurrences in Greek"
* I click and I see all of the verses in LXX and NT in order in a list

For some reason Bible makers don't acknowledge that there are two OTs, not just the Hebrew.

Something like this but that returns both LXX and NT:

https://www.greekorthodox.bible/bible-search
What I lack in youth I make up for in immaturity.
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Bill Ross wrote: December 5th, 2018, 7:54 am * I'm reading the KJV and the passage seems obscure (that part isn't the ideal)
* the verse has 3 interesting words, like "sealed" or "stumble" so I want to see the OT background
This can be done in Logos Bible Software.
Version 7 Basic is free and has The English-Greek Reverse Interlinear New Testament New King James Version and The English-Greek Reverse Interlinear Lexham English Septuagint . (Disclosure: I'm one of the editors of the LES.)

Let's say you're in Romans 9:32 in the NKJV. You have the NKJV and LES open.
  1. Right-click the word "stumbled".
  2. select προσκόπτω and "Search all open resources" from the pop-up menu.
  3. 25 results come up.
  4. Click "By Resource" to sort them in canonical order.
I hope this helps!
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Jonathan Robie wrote: May 11th, 2011, 5:37 pm When I work with a text, I like to have the text up front and center. I'd like to be able to add notes to the text, do searches and incorporate the results, etc. In other words, I'd like a good word processor for Greek texts, extended with the tools typically found in Bible software.

Logos allows notes to be private (local), or shared in a group or publicly.
Here's an example of a public note I shared regarding NKJV Romans 10:1.
https://embed.faithlife.com/notes/114335
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Paul-Nitz

Post by Paul-Nitz »

What I would like to see is software that would show collocations like AntConc does for English and other languages.

http://www.laurenceanthony.net/software ... e/antconc/

As an aside, a new Logos Bible Software tool I just found amazes me. I got by upgrading to a higher level package. It is the Morphology Chart tool.

I love the Lexham Analytical Lexicon to the NT. It gives gloss definitions, gives hyperlinks to occurrences in the GNT, and shows a list together with a list of all forms of the word found in the GNT. I have used it often. This Morphology Chart tool just about makes that book redundant.

To drone on about it, I have often exported morphology searches into Excel and used some fancy formulas to see what forms are very common. E.g. What forms of the Relative Pronoun are very common? <br/>
After about 20 minutes of work, I can come up with a list like this:

Or, in about 20 seconds, I can have the Morphology Chart tool give me results like this!!!, together with examples in context, a click away. Here ᾦ is highlighted and the examples are shown below the chart.

Paul D. Nitz - Lilongwe Malawi
Bill Ross

Post by Bill Ross »

Ken M. Penner wrote: December 5th, 2018, 10:04 am
Bill Ross wrote: December 5th, 2018, 7:54 am * I'm reading the KJV and the passage seems obscure (that part isn't the ideal)
This can be done in Logos Bible Software.
Version 7 Basic is free and has The English-Greek Reverse Interlinear New Testament New King James Version and The English-Greek Reverse Interlinear Lexham English Septuagint . (Disclosure: I'm one of the editors of the LES.)

Let's say you're in Romans 9:32 in the NKJV. You have the NKJV and LES open.
  1. Right-click the word "stumbled".
  2. select προσκόπτω and "Search all open resources" from the pop-up menu.
  3. 25 results come up.
  4. Click "By Resource" to sort them in canonical order.
I hope this helps!

Oh many, no coal in your stocking this year - thanks!
Bill Ross

Post by Bill Ross »

I've had Logos 7 for years but mostly used it to house my BDAG. Your insight has made it a whole new tool for me. Again, thanks.

It isn't a big deal but I wonder if you can tell me if there is a way to cite a complete entry in BDAG without locating the end? IE: "Copy this entry"? FYI, I'm using the formatted BDAG option.

Thanks.

Return to “Bible Study Software”