Benjamin Pehrson

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Benjamin Pehrson

Benjamin Pehrson

Post by Benjamin Pehrson »

I am a linguist working with SIL in Papua New Guinea. Most of my assignment involves translation advising and training in the Aitape West Translation Project, and part of my assignment involves teaching Koine Greek to Papua New Guinean translators and SIL linguists. I have team-taught an intensive 6-week course to PNG citizens covering most of a first year grammar on a few different occasions. I have also team-taught a 12-day and 10-day refresher course for SIL linguists that covered a whole first year grammar for those who have had any amount of Greek training in their near or more distant past.

B.A., Houghton College, 1996, Major: Bible; Minors: Linguistics, Intercultural Relations; Languages: 2 years of Koine Greek, 1 year of Biblical Hebrew; 1 semester of Field Methods using Cantonese
M.A., Wheaton College, 2002, Major: Interdisciplinary Studies (Bible & Theology, Intercultural Studies); Language: over 20 graduate semester hours of Koine Greek courses;
Thesis:
"Noachic Allusion and Echo in James 3.1-12: Implicatures of New Creation Eschatology"
M.A., Graduate Institute of Applied Linguistics, 2010, Major: Applied Linguistics; Languages: 1 year of Biblical Hebrew, 1 semester of Field Methods using Indonesian;
Thesis:
"Mitigation and Intensification of Persuasive Discourse in a Koine Greek Letter: Coherent Macrostructure in the Letter of James."
I occasionally post on Greek topics (among other academic interests) on my blog at agaphseis.wordpress.com (and on living and working in Papua New Guinea at livingletters.wordpress.com), but due to my tight schedule and remote location, I do not post there or on forums like this B-Greek site as often as I would like.

In the Aitape West Translation Project, we are working together with translators from 11 languages from three different language families (Austronesian and two different Papuan language families - Torricelli and Skou). I work most closely with three different dialects of Onnele (aka Northern One).

In the near future, I hope to develop some kind of correspondence course that could utilize mobile phones (the most available form of communication in the country) in order to encourage graduates of our introductory Greek course to keep up with their Greek until they can take the next course.
Benjamin Pehrson
Aitape West Translation Project, SIL Papua New Guinea
Jonathan Robie

Re: Benjamin Pehrson

Post by Jonathan Robie »

You are an officially interesting person, Benjamin.

Hmmm, I'm still chewing on this one, hoping more people will weigh in ...
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “Introductions”