List of Grammars

R.A.F

List of Grammars

Post by R.A.F »

Hello all,

Lately, I've been searching through different grammars just to compare and contrast them. I've found a few good ones, both pdf and hard copy. I was just inquiring to see if there are any *really* good ones to get.
MAubrey

Re: List of Grammars

Post by MAubrey »

What grammars do you have already?
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Mark Lightman

Post by Mark Lightman »

Χαῖρε Ρ.Α.Φ.

I’m not saying that Smyth’s Greek Grammar is a *really* good book, but put it this way: If I was stranded on a desert island and I could only bring one Greek resource period, lexicon, grammar, text book, whatever, I would bring Smyth’s Greek Grammar and I would pray to the Lord God that I might never be rescued. Smyth is that good.

One needs a list of Greek grammars like one needs a list of great Civil War Presidents. I would say of Smyth, R.A.F., what Churchhill said of your namesake, the Royal Air Force: "Never have so many owed so much to a book written by one guy with so few fine words."

τὸν Σιδηρέα φιλῶ.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Are you looking for an introductory grammar? A reference grammar that you can quickly find answers in? A grammar to read repeatedly and learn from, having attained some mastery of the language already?

Will you read primarily in the New Testament, or more widely?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
R.A.F

Post by R.A.F »

I've been learning Koine greek for a few years now, but have within the past few monthes also taken up Homeric, so something I could repeatedly learn from might be best.

Return to “Grammars”