Ammonius on Βούλομαι and θέλω

Semantic Range, Lexicography, and other approaches to word meaning - in general, or for particular words.
Mike Baber

Ammonius on Βούλομαι and θέλω

Post by Mike Baber »

Source

βουληθείς, of set purpose] Βούλομαι and θέλω, though largely coincident in sense, and often capable of being interchanged, never really lose the distinction indicated by Ammonius, De diff. verb. p. 31, βούλεσθαι μὲν ἐπί μόνου λεκτέον τοῦ λογικοῦ, τὸ δὲ θέλειν καὶ ἐπὺ ἀλόγου ζῴου, and again (p. 70), θέλειν καὶ βούλεσθαι ἐὰν λέγῃ τις, δηλώσει ὅτι ἀκουσίως τε καὶ εὐλόγως ὀρέγεταὶ τινος (quoted though not accepted by W. Dindorf in Steph. Thes.).

Can someone translate the Greek text (large-sized font)?

Thank you
Stephen Carlson

Re: Ammonius on Βούλομαι and θέλω

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Mike Baber wrote:βούλεσθαι μὲν ἐπί μόνου λεκτέον τοῦ λογικοῦ, τὸ δ' ἐθέλειν καὶ ἐπὶ ἀλόγου ζῴου
βούλεσθαι is spoken only of one possessed of reason, but ἔθελειν also of an animal devoid of reason.
Mike Baber wrote:θέλειν καὶ βούλεσθαι ἐὰν λέγῃ τις, δηλώσει ὅτι ἀκουσίως τε καὶ εὐλόγως ὀρέγεταὶ τινος
If someone says they θέλειν and βούλεσθαι, it will be clear that they yearn for something both willingly and with good reason.

Stephen
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Stephen Carlson wrote:
Mike Baber wrote:βούλεσθαι μὲν ἐπί μόνου λεκτέον τοῦ λογικοῦ, τὸ δ' ἐθέλειν καὶ ἐπὶ ἀλόγου ζῴου
βούλεσθαι is spoken only of one possessed of reason, but ἔθελειν also of an animal devoid of reason.
I noticed you corrected "επυ" to "επι" but isn't "τὸ δ' ἐθέλειν" supposed to be "το δε θελειν"?
δαυιδ λιμ
timothy_p_mcmahon

Post by timothy_p_mcmahon »

David Lim wrote:
Stephen Carlson wrote:I noticed you corrected "επυ" to "επι" but isn't "τὸ δ' ἐθέλειν" supposed to be "το δε θελειν"?
θέλω and εθέλω are by-forms of the same verb.
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

timothy_p_mcmahon wrote:
David Lim wrote:
Stephen Carlson wrote:I noticed you corrected "επυ" to "επι" but isn't "τὸ δ' ἐθέλειν" supposed to be "το δε θελειν"?
θέλω and εθέλω are by-forms of the same verb.
Exactly right. I looked up the text in TLG and corrected it to reflect what that edition says.

The Koine form has lost the initial ἐ- in the present, but the initial can still be seen in the form of the augment for the "past" tenses; e.g.Gal 4:20 ἤθελον.

Stephen
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia

Return to “Word Meanings”