Online Course by Steven Runge of Logos

Barry Hofstetter

Online Course by Steven Runge of Logos

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

On discourse study:

http://tinyurl.com/cu26qcz

No comment, except that I found this somewhat amusing, considering our frequent emphasis here:
If you’ve had a year of Greek and you’re comfortable working in an interlinear text, then you won’t want to miss it.
Yikes! :o
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Jonathan Robie

Re: Online Course by Steven Runge of Logos

Post by Jonathan Robie »

If you’ve had a year of Greek
Yep.
... and you’re comfortable working in an interlinear text
Nope.

I guess we'll be teasing Steve about this one ;->
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

You bet, but I'm also sure the course will be excellent, in spite of that.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
RandallButh

Post by RandallButh »

No comment, except that I found this somewhat amusing, considering our frequent emphasis here:
If you’ve had a year of Greek and you’re comfortable working in an interlinear text, then you won’t want to miss it.
Yikes!
It's the way one of his doktoral readers works. Discourse grammar discusses the macro-signals in a text and is not as concerned with the lexical web in the warp and woof of language.
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

It ought to be understood that the Biblical software companies have a vested interest in selling interlinear e-texts. There's not one of them that doesn't do it. Depending on your point of view, they are serving or pandering to the market of new seminary students who are receiving minimal training in Biblical Greek and that training focused on ability to take advantage of other authorities' interpretations of the Greek text, not on the ability to judge the validity of those interpretations. Logos and Accordance both have that vested interest; my guess is that BibleWorks has it just as surely.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

RandallButh wrote:It's the way his doktorvater reader works. Discourse grammar discusses the macro-signals in a text and is not as concerned with the lexical web in the warp and woof of language.
That may be the case, but this has little to do with that and everything to do with the marketing department at Logos.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
SusanJeffers

Post by SusanJeffers »

Sometime back I bought Steve Runge's "Discourse Grammar of the Greek New Testament" and really like it... I just now ordered the video version of the course described on this thread... Doktorvater, pandering, b-greekally incorrect, macht's mir nicht... I think he highlights some tools and perspectives that I haven't found as well-presented elsewhere. And if these can be useful to someone with 1 year of Greek who's comfortable with an interlinear, well, that's a wider audience than a lot of Greek materials...

thanks for the link!

Susan Jeffers
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I have Runge's book, and I agree it's good. His participation here on B-Greek has also been great, he knows a lot and is a great teacher. Please don't interpret my anti-interlinear comments otherwise ;->

And the film clips are really intriguing - I love the way he presents:

http://www.logos.com/product/7076/intro ... deo-series
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “Seen on the Web”