Stephen Carlson

Anything related to Biblical Greek that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Jonathan Robie

Stephen Carlson

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Posted on behalf of Mark Goodacre.
Mark Goodacre wrote:For many years now, b-greekers have appreciated Stephen Carlson's contributions. I am sure that you would all like to join me in taking a moment to congratulate him on the successful defense ofhis PhD here at Duke this week. His thesis title was "The Text of Galatians and Its History". Those of you who know Stephen's work will not be surprised to hear that his thesis was outstanding, and his defense of it exemplary. If we awarded "honors" here at Duke, or "graduation with distinction", this thesis would have received that award. Very many congratulations, Stephen, on a richly deserved PhD, and all the very best for your future!
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
cwconrad

Re: Stephen Carlson

Post by cwconrad »

I will gladly add my congratulations to Stephen. I've been reading his contributions to B-Greek, both list and forum, since back in the early 1990's, was fascinated with the lawyer's and scholar's take on the "Secret Mark" forgery, have watched his blog, "Hypotyposeis" with great interest since he began it (who else would swipe the title of the work of Clement of Alexandria?), was happy finally to meet him in person a few years ago. I'll be very interested to see where the next step will take him. Cheers, Stephen!
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Thank you very much for your kind words, Carl. I have to admit that I learned a lot over the years from B-Greek and from you in particular.

Stephen
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Alex Hopkins

Post by Alex Hopkins »

Before too much time passes, I'd also like to express congratulations to you, Stephen, for gaining your PhD. It's something to celebrate, and as one of those who have read with profit the contributions you've made to B-Greek I wish you all the best and applaud your achievement.

Now watch out for all those who'll either want you to set a broken arm, or teach them philosophy!

Alex Hopkins
Melbourne, Australia
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

In my first post, I was speaking for Mark Goodacre, so let me add my own congratulations as well. I'm very grateful for what you have brought to B-Greek over the years, and continue to bring now.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “Other”