Jonah - short, easy, nice for early reading outside of GNT

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Jonathan Robie

Jonah - short, easy, nice for early reading outside of GNT

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I started reading Jonah in the Septuagint yesterday, and began to wonder why it isn't more widely recommended to people who want to read outside the Greek New Testament. It's familiar vocabulary, short sentences, and the entire text is quite short.

Does anyone use Jonah in their courses?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
ed krentz

Re: Jonah - short, easy, nice for early reading outside of G

Post by ed krentz »

Jonathon,

The way one grows is to keep readingr texts that are more difficult than the NT. The LXX is good for this. I would suggest reading Psalms as a starter. They are short (not Ps 119!) and their content is familiar.

But then move into the apocrypha. Try reading sections of Sirach, start with chapter 44. One you find that doable, move on to Wisdom of Solomon 7ff. and 4 Maccabees.

There are some good aids to this, e.g. the old Dropsie Series of commentaries on apocryphal books, or Dancy on 1 Maccabees.

Once you have done t4his, then move on to Greek literature of the Roman empire period.

Ed Krentz
Edgar Krentz
Prof. Emeritus of NT
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
Jonathan Robie

Re: Jonah - short, easy, nice for early reading outside of G

Post by Jonathan Robie »

ed krentz wrote:The way one grows is to keep readingr texts that are more difficult than the NT. The LXX is good for this. I would suggest reading Psalms as a starter. They are short (not Ps 119!) and their content is familiar.

But then move into the apocrypha. Try reading sections of Sirach, start with chapter 44. One you find that doable, move on to Wisdom of Solomon 7ff. and 4 Maccabees.
Thanks - it probably is time for me to spread my wings a bit. I've read a bit outside the GNT, but not at all widely.
ed krentz wrote:There are some good aids to this, e.g. the old Dropsie Series of commentaries on apocryphal books, or Dancy on 1 Maccabees.
I'm not familiar with either. Dropsie seems to be largely Hebrew resources, I'm not sure I'm looking at the same thing you are talking about.

Thanks for the advice!
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha”