John 3:5 (two questions)

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

John 3:5 (two questions)

Postby Mike Burke Deactivated » September 8th, 2012, 12:49 am

First, I'd like to now if the following statement (which I read on another forum) is grammatically correct?

The last part of the passage (John 3:5) literally reads: “except anyone is born of water and [kai] Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of the God.”[8] As seen, in allowable contexts the Greek conjunction kai (“and”) could be translated as an ascensive conjunction “even,” which could explain the previous clause: “born of water.” Thus, it could be translated: “except anyone is born of water even [kai] Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom. . . .”

Second, I'd like to know if John 3:5 is one of these "allowable contexts"?

Could "kai" be translated as an "ascensive conjunction" ("even") here?
Mike Burke Deactivated

Re: John 3:5 (two questions)

Postby Jason Hare » September 8th, 2012, 12:12 pm

Mike Burke wrote:First, I'd like to now if the following statement (which I read on another forum) is grammatically correct?

The last part of the passage (John 3:5) literally reads: “except anyone is born of water and [kai] Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of the God.”[8] As seen, in allowable contexts the Greek conjunction kai (“and”) could be translated as an ascensive conjunction “even,” which could explain the previous clause: “born of water.” Thus, it could be translated: “except anyone is born of water even [kai] Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom. . . .”

Second, I'd like to know if John 3:5 is one of these "allowable contexts"?

Could "kai" be translated as an "ascensive conjunction" ("even") here?

Is it not normally taken that "water" refers to baptism and "spirit" to unction?
Jason A. Hare
Rehovot, Israel
Jason Hare

Return to What does this text mean?