Hebrews 10:29

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
rhutchin

Post by rhutchin »

πόσῳ δοκειτε χείρονος ἀξιωθήσεται τιμωρίας ὁ τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ θεοῦ καταπατήσας καὶ τὸ αῖμα τῆς διαθήκης κοινὸν ἡγησάμενος ἐν ᾡ ἡγιὰσθη και τὸ πνεῦμα τῆς χάριτος ἐνυβρίσασ.

To what does ἐν ᾡ ἡγιὰσθη refer and why?

Does it refer to Christ so that we would understand, "...wherewith Christ was sanctified..." or does it refer to that person who is the subject of the first part of the sentence?

Roger Hutchinson
Roger Hutchinson
timothy_p_mcmahon

Re: Hebrews 10:29

Post by timothy_p_mcmahon »

I believe the answer to your question is a matter of exegesis rather than syntax, although it seems most natural to take the subject of ἡγιάσθη as being identical to the subject of the main verb.

Return to “What does this text mean?”