παρακαλεῖσθε

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
Scott Lawson

παρακαλεῖσθε

Post by Scott Lawson »

What is the force of παρακαλεῖσθε at 2 Corinthians 13:11?

The present tense in imperatives is usually to command the action as an ongoing process. (I learned this from Carl in another post. Thanks Carl!)
It is also passive which indicates that there is comfort that is being given from an outside source.

Could it be Englished as "continue letting yourselves be comforted?"

What I'm truly interested in is whether or not it is implied that there is an inability/resistance to continue recieving comfort?

On a personal note, I find that to be the case in my circumstances and wonder why the peace of God doesn't continually reign in my heart - is there something wrong with me? Why does God hate me so much?...I've never done anything FOR Him! :shock:

Sorry if this got too personal...just wondering if the use of the present passive imperative implies the constant need to be open to comfort and that we need to be aware of a tendency to resist being comforted.

Scotty
Scott Lawson
Eeli Kaikkonen

Re: παρακαλεῖσθε

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

Scott Lawson wrote: Could it be Englished as "continue letting yourselves be comforted?"
The more I read Greek and these kind of "emphasized" or "nuanced" translations the more I feel those translations are misleading. If Paul would have wanted to say "continue doing so" he would have had many good ways to say so. Instead he used generic, neutral present tense. It must be understood against the alternative tense, aorist. Aorist would have referred to a specific event as a whole, but it wouldn't be natural here, because being comforted is continuous by nature, unless it's being comforted for some time or in some situation only and viewed as such. (Even if it's for some time or some situation only it can easily be viewed as non-completed! Choosing a tense involves choosing a viewpoint.)
What I'm truly interested in is whether or not it is implied that there is an inability/resistance to continue recieving comfort?
Based on my opinion above I would say "no" as long as the tense is concerned. It's context dependent. The same goes for the passive. There has been some discussion about passive commands before. The passive (or mediopassive) voice doesn't say how "active" or "passive" the activity of the imperative really is. It can be said that it involves at least some amount of activity because otherwise imperative would be pointless, but then God created the world with imperative (LXX)... My gut feeling is that sometimes the passive imperative can be a strong wish as much as a direct command.

Be blessed and comforted, even though you don't find it in grammar!
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Scott Lawson wrote:What is the force of παρακαλεῖσθε at 2 Corinthians 13:11?

The present tense in imperatives is usually to command the action as an ongoing process. (I learned this from Carl in another post. Thanks Carl!)
It is also passive which indicates that there is comfort that is being given from an outside source.

Could it be Englished as "continue letting yourselves be comforted?"
Text: 2 Cor 13:11 Λοιπόν, ἀδελφοί, χαίρετε, καταρτίζεσθε, παρακαλεῖσθε, τὸ αὐτὸ φρονεῖτε, εἰρηνεύετε, καὶ ὁ θεὸς τῆς ἀγάπης καὶ εἰρήνης ἔσται μεθ᾿ ὑμῶν.

All these exhortations are in the present tense and all urge upon the congregation ongoing behavioral patterns; I don't see why the continuous aspect requires any special emphasis (these are hardly exhortations to do anything once only!).

What I do not understand is why one would understand παρακαλεῖσθε as passive. It would seem to me that it's clearly reflexive, or in the plural here, reciprocal: "Encourage each other." I know that's not the way the translators want to deal with it, but why not?
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

cwconrad wrote: Text: 2 Cor 13:11 Λοιπόν, ἀδελφοί, χαίρετε, καταρτίζεσθε, παρακαλεῖσθε, τὸ αὐτὸ φρονεῖτε, εἰρηνεύετε, καὶ ὁ θεὸς τῆς ἀγάπης καὶ εἰρήνης ἔσται μεθ᾿ ὑμῶν.

All these exhortations are in the present tense and all urge upon the congregation ongoing behavioral patterns; I don't see why the continuous aspect requires any special emphasis (these are hardly exhortations to do anything once only!).

What I do not understand is why one would understand παρακαλεῖσθε as passive. It would seem to me that it's clearly reflexive, or in the plural here, reciprocal: "Encourage each other." I know that's not the way the translators want to deal with it, but why not?
Actually, at least one translation, the ESV, takes it as a reciprocal:
2Co 13:11 Finally, brothers, rejoice. Aim for restoration, comfort one another, agree with one another, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you.
So you are not alone... :)
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.

Return to “What does this text mean?”