Romans 9:5

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.

Romans 9:5

Postby Justin Cofer » November 23rd, 2012, 6:53 pm

As I was reading from my Greek NT, I came across the following clause in Romans 9:5 ὁ ὢν ἐπὶ πάντων θεὸς εὐλογητὸς εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας, ἀμήν. Exactly what is θεὸς syntactical function here? Is it appositive? Or is it functioning as the predicate?

Thanks
Justin Cofer

Re: Romans 9:5

Postby timothy_p_mcmahon » November 23rd, 2012, 10:19 pm

It's the predicate.
timothy_p_mcmahon

Postby Evan Blackmore » November 23rd, 2012, 11:37 pm

Justin Cofer wrote:Exactly what is θεὸς syntactical function here? Is it appositive? Or is it functioning as the predicate?

The old 1885 RV offered no less than four alternate translations of this clause:

"... flesh, who is over all, God blessed for ever."

"... flesh. He who is God over all be/is blessed for ever."

"... flesh. He who is over all is God, blessed for ever."

"... flesh, who is over all. God be/is blessed for ever."

The first was placed in the text, but each of the other three must have had powerful committee advocates, for all three of them to get into the margin.

You'll find an extended discussion of the options, running for several pages of small print, in Sanday and Headlam.

Of more recent commentaries known to me, the fullest discussion is in Cranfield's ICC, vol. 2, pp. 464-70.
Evan Blackmore

Postby David Lim » November 24th, 2012, 1:25 am

Justin Cofer wrote:As I was reading from my Greek NT, I came across the following clause in Romans 9:5 ὁ ὢν ἐπὶ πάντων θεὸς εὐλογητὸς εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας, ἀμήν. Exactly what is θεὸς syntactical function here? Is it appositive? Or is it functioning as the predicate?

The reading you choose will depend on your interpretation. Besides the ones that Evan gives, there is even a fifth quite distinct possibility:
"... flesh. The God who is over all [be] blessed for ever, amen."
δαυιδ λιμ
David Lim

Postby Stephen Carlson » November 24th, 2012, 8:42 am

Justin Cofer wrote:As I was reading from my Greek NT, I came across the following clause in Romans 9:5 ὁ ὢν ἐπὶ πάντων θεὸς εὐλογητὸς εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας, ἀμήν. Exactly what is θεὸς syntactical function here? Is it appositive? Or is it functioning as the predicate?

As Cranfield's commentary points out (cited in this thread), it's basically a punctuation issue and the identification of the syntactic function depends on the punctuation.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D. (Duke)
Post-Doctoral Fellow, Faculty of Theology, Uppsala
Stephen Carlson

Postby Justin Cofer » November 24th, 2012, 6:14 pm

thanks all
Justin Cofer

Return to New Testament