The meaning of ὁρίζω in Romans 1:4

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
KimmoHuovila

Re: The meaning of ὁρίζω in Romans 1:4

Post by KimmoHuovila »

AMSpencer wrote:
KimmoHuovila wrote:Appointing is a performative definition and declaration is a public definition that need not be performative.
Kimmo, if I understand correctly the language that you are using in "performative" then I think you are right at the point that I am asking about. As I look at the use of this word in the rest of the NT (limited data, granted), I feel like the action is always "performative." That is, this word always reflects an act of making something so, determining that it will be so. I am questioning whether it is ever used in the sense of simply stating something publicly as fact that has already been so for some time previous. I think this is what you are saying with your terminology, but correct me if I am wrong. Do you have an idea of some evidence/instances that show that the word does mean the merely "public definition" idea?
I think you have understood me correctly. Unfortunately, I don't have the time right now to look for hard evidence. Just looking at a word that has the range of meanings that LSJ shows makes me cautious. They list 'define' among the senses. However, one would have to go beyond a dictionary and look at the examples themselves. Perhaps someone else on the list has the time to pick some relevant examples, as you pose an interesting question.
Kimmo Huovila
Andrew Chapman

Re: The meaning of ὁρίζω in Romans 1:4

Post by Andrew Chapman »

Even if one goes for the weaker sense of 'marked out to be (in the eyes of men)' through His resurrection, that's still not quite the same as 'declare', which as Stephen said, is a speech act. 'Declare' is in BAGD, citing Meleager:

σὲ γὰρ θεὸν ὥρισε δαίμων

which is translated in Loeb as 'for Destiny ordained thee a god' [Loeb, Greek Anthology, Paton vol. 4, 12.158], and in L&S with 'determine'. So it hardly seems to force 'declare'.

Andrew

Return to “New Testament”