1 Cor 6:1

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
David Lim

Re: 1 Cor 6:1

Post by David Lim »

Stephen Carlson wrote:I have to admit that I'm a little surprised to see a circumstantial (adverbial) participle between a finite verb and its infinitival complement. That's not what I would have expected, and I would love to see other examples of this. On the other hand, it would be nice to see some examples of adjectival participles with τις.
Here are some with a string of verbs after the participial clause that are semantically parallel to the participle, thus I think that these were conceived adverbially:
[Matt 6:27] τις δε εξ υμων μεριμνων δυναται προσθειναι επι την ηλικιαν αυτου πηχυν ενα (same in Luke 12:25)
[Luke 14:28] τις γαρ εξ υμων θελων πυργον οικοδομησαι ουχι πρωτον καθισας ψηφιζει την δαπανην ει εχει εις απαρτισμον
[Luke 14:31] η τις βασιλευς πορευομενος ετερω βασιλει συμβαλειν εις πολεμον ουχι καθισας πρωτον βουλευσεται ει δυνατος εστιν εν δεκα χιλιασιν υπαντησαι τω μετα εικοσι χιλιαδων ερχομενω επ αυτον
[Luke 15:4] τις ανθρωπος εξ υμων εχων εκατον προβατα και απολεσας εξ αυτων εν ου καταλειπει τα ενενηκοντα εννεα εν τη ερημω και πορευεται επι το απολωλος εως ευρη αυτο
[Luke 17:7] τις δε εξ υμων δουλον εχων αροτριωντα η ποιμαινοντα ος εισελθοντι εκ του αγρου ερει αυτω ευθεως παρελθων αναπεσε

Here is one which may possibly be adjectival:
[1 Cor 5:11] νυν δε εγραψα υμιν μη συναναμιγνυσθαι εαν τις αδελφος ονομαζομενος η πορνος η πλεονεκτης η ειδωλολατρης η λοιδορος η μεθυσος η αρπαξ τω τοιουτω μηδε συνεσθιειν

(sorry I don't have time to look these up in accented texts)
Stephen Carlson wrote:I think that, with either construal of the participle, the propositional content is pretty much the same, so it's hard to tell whether the subordinate clauses of the English translations are intended to the convey an understanding of the participle as circumstantial.
I agree, but it seems that it is really adverbial, as it is not there to specify the subject but to describe a potential situation. Even in 1 Cor 5:11 it may be taken that way; "if anyone is called a brother but is ..."
δαυιδ λιμ
Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Justin Cofer wrote:
I lean toward the "adjectival" function of the participle at the fore here in 1 cor 6:1, modifying τις. I argue Paul is describing what kind of individual he is about to condemn!!! Thoughts?
I suggest you go with the valuable insights offered by R. Buth and also the citations you quoted from ATR.

1Cor. 6:1 Τολμᾷ τις ὑμῶν πρᾶγμα ἔχων πρὸς τὸν ἕτερον κρίνεσθαι ἐπὶ τῶν ἀδίκων καὶ οὐχὶ ἐπὶ τῶν ἁγίων;

πρᾶγμα ἔχων πρὸς τὸν ἕτερον describes the conditions under which Τολμᾷ τις ... κρίνεσθαι ἐπὶ τῶν ἀδίκων ...

By describing the conditions it also tells us something about the kind of person involved in this action.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Justin Cofer

Post by Justin Cofer »

Stirling Bartholomew wrote:
I suggest you go with the valuable insights offered by R. Buth and also the citations you quoted from ATR.
I don't disagree with Buth or Robertson. I agree with them that its not an either/or proposition.
1Cor. 6:1 Τολμᾷ τις ὑμῶν πρᾶγμα ἔχων πρὸς τὸν ἕτερον κρίνεσθαι ἐπὶ τῶν ἀδίκων καὶ οὐχὶ ἐπὶ τῶν ἁγίων;

πρᾶγμα ἔχων πρὸς τὸν ἕτερον describes the conditions under which Τολμᾷ τις ... κρίνεσθαι ἐπὶ τῶν ἀδίκων ...

By describing the conditions it also tells us something about the kind of person involved in this action.
I agree. Paul is describing the condition of legal action in order to specify from the generic τις to the kind of person involved in this action (whom Paul is about to rebuke).

Return to “New Testament”