Stephen Hughes

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Stephen Hughes

Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Hello fellow members,
This forum was recommended to me as a place to discuss various issues I have with the language.
I started reading Greek in my teens when I should have been paying attention to my high school studies. 30 years after my first contact with the language, I am still reading Greek regularly.
During the in between time, I have done a beginners New Testament Greek course at Sydney Missionary and Bible College. Several years later, I completed a Bachelor of Arts at Sydney University with a double major in Greek and Ancient Greek, then about 15 years ago, a Bachelor of Theology through the Sydney College of Divinity, where Theology, Patristics and Liturgics were taught in Greek. I can also hold my own with a number of other relevant ancient languages.
This last year and half, I have been reading widely and thinking a lot, to prepare for further study in NT Greek.
I look forward to participating in the forum and receiving the feedback of others who share my interest.
All the best,
Stephen Hughes
(ESL teacher, Mainland China)
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Stephen Carlson

Re: Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Welcome to the list! Feel free to propose questions for the Greek you encounter in your reading.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Hughes

Re: Introduction

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Thomas Dolhanty wrote:Stephen Hughes is and has been a very competent and accomplished reader of Greek – a professor of the language - and yet, as he has told us, for the most part he has not utilized methods that others deem essential.
:?: Is "professor" being used in an non-technical sense here? I'm an ESL teacher, Greek is one of my hobbies. I have taught Greek on a limited number of occasions, but don't hold an academic position or title.
Thomas Dolhanty

Post by Thomas Dolhanty »

Stephen Hughes wrote:
Thomas Dolhanty wrote:Stephen Hughes is and has been a very competent and accomplished reader of Greek – a professor of the language - and yet, as he has told us, for the most part he has not utilized methods that others deem essential.
:?: Is "professor" being used in an non-technical sense here? I'm an ESL teacher, Greek is one of my hobbies. I have taught Greek on a limited number of occasions, but don't hold an academic position or title.
Yes. I was not thinking of "professor" in the formal sense of holding an academic position. Rather, You have been a student of ancient Greek for 30 years, and have studied it formally in several different settings, and you are a linguist in the general sense of that word. When you address a topic in Greek, you do it with considerable authority, from an impressive body of learning, and with a unique perspective.

Wow! 2410 posts since Feb 27, 2013! I thought you were here way longer than 3 years!
γράφω μαθεῖν
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Thomas Dolhanty wrote:
Stephen Hughes wrote:
Yes. I was not thinking of "professor" in the formal sense of holding an academic position. Rather, You have been a student of ancient Greek for 30 years, and have studied it formally in several different settings, and you are a linguist in the general sense of that word. When you address a topic in Greek, you do it with considerable authority, from an impressive body of learning, and with a unique perspective.

Wow! 2410 posts since Feb 27, 2013! I thought you were here way longer than 3 years!
The other facts that you have mentioned are more or less accurate. The opinions that you have proffered are more generous than I would have ascribed to myself. Living with one foot in a rice paddy with only the memories to academic libraries for my mind to haunt, as I ordinarily do, has resulted in some idiosyncratic (unique) perspectives. The comments and thoughts of others on this forum, more privileged than myself in regard to their access to the learning and thoughts of others, have been more than valuable in partially compensating for my lack.

Return to “Introductions”