Reverse Interlinears

Jonathan Robie

Reverse Interlinears

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I am looking at the Lexham Reverse Interlinear, described here:

http://sblgnt.com/download/revint/01-Front%20Matter.pdf

And downloadable here:

http://sblgnt.com/download/

Should I consider this "just another interlinear"? What is the definition of "reverse interlinear"? Who is this kind of resource most useful for?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stephen Carlson

Re: Reverse Interlinears

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Jonathan Robie wrote:Should I consider this "just another interlinear"? What is the definition of "reverse interlinear"? Who is this kind of resource most useful for?
Yes. A reverse interlinear follows the word order of the English translation instead of underlying Greek text. Studying the translation technique of the English translation?
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Jonathan Robie wrote: Who is this kind of resource most useful for?
I would think it would "seem" most useful to thsoe who don't want to learn Greek but would like
to believe they are really getting to the heart of what the Greek text says. And if it seems to the
user to accomplish that feat. it even fosters a sense that the English version is a more natural
expression of what the Greek actually says. It's a matter of linguistic prestidigitation.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

cwconrad wrote:
Jonathan Robie wrote: Who is this kind of resource most useful for?
I would think it would "seem" most useful to thsoe who don't want to learn Greek but would like
to believe they are really getting to the heart of what the Greek text says. And if it seems to the
user to accomplish that feat. it even fosters a sense that the English version is a more natural
expression of what the Greek actually says. It's a matter of linguistic prestidigitation.
That's probably true, Carl.

But that doesn't mean we cannot borrow and adapt such tools for our own non-standard uses that go well beyond the their intended purpose.

I, myself, use reverse interlinears for compiling grammatical judgments of translators. The ability to compile lists of how a given lexeme in a particular tense is translated across a large corpus by the same people has the potential to be quite illuminating--particularly when I can collate the judgments of multiple translation (e.g. NRSV, NIV, NASB, etc) together. I cannot think of a faster or more convenient to way to catalog all the places where a perfect is translated as an English stative rather than a English perfect. And from there, that data can be sorted by lexeme, which then allows for discovering other patterns of usage and an (at least rudimentary) sorting of Greek perfects into lexical classes. It may not be complete or perhaps, but it is effective and useful starting point.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

MAubrey wrote:But that doesn't mean we cannot borrow and adapt such tools for our own non-standard uses that go well beyond the their intended purpose.

I, myself, use reverse interlinears for compiling grammatical judgments of translators. The ability to compile lists of how a given lexeme in a particular tense is translated across a large corpus by the same people has the potential to be quite illuminating--particularly when I can collate the judgments of multiple translation (e.g. NRSV, NIV, NASB, etc) together. I cannot think of a faster or more convenient to way to catalog all the places where a perfect is translated as an English stative rather than a English perfect. And from there, that data can be sorted by lexeme, which then allows for discovering other patterns of usage and an (at least rudimentary) sorting of Greek perfects into lexical classes. It may not be complete or perhaps, but it is effective and useful starting point.
Do you have an example of this that you can point to or share?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

Jonathan Robie wrote:Do you have an example of this that you can point to or share?
Well, here's a screen clipping of a search in the NRSV reverse interlinear that shows some of what I'm doing:

Considering that John Lee demonstrated so clearly that the glosses in our lexicons, for the most part, are little more than collections from translations, in some sense, this is no different than that and generally more comprehensive, though obviously limited to the NT (and in the case of the NRSV, also the Apocrypha)...which is unfortunate.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com

Return to “Other”