Beginner greek/english interlinear?

Jacob Rhoden

Beginner greek/english interlinear?

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

I would like to invest in a decent greek/english interlinear bible. Just wondering if anyone has some advice or recommendations
- I've in the past gone from NASB, to NIV, and just recently NLT just to mix things up a bit.
- Because I want to use it as my main bible, It ideally should have OT in some form.
- Also if at all possible, something portable that I can carry around with me (:
- Not really interested in versions where the english column is a little tiny column on the side, and the greek column has more english and numbers than greek in it :D
(I usually just read on my phone, but im not sure an iPhone based greek/english interlinear is practical or even available)
Eeli Kaikkonen

Re: Beginner greek/english interlinear?

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

Are you looking for an interlinear or a parallel Bible?
Scott Lawson

Post by Scott Lawson »

Jacob,

I remember hoping that I would subliminally pick up on Greek as I read in my interlinear but it didn't really seem to work. If you invest in anything it should be the LXX bound with the NA/27 or UBS4.
Scott Lawson
Jacob Rhoden

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

Scott Lawson wrote:Jacob,
I remember hoping that I would subliminally pick up on Greek as I read in my interlinear but it didn't really seem to work. If you invest in anything it should be the LXX bound with the NA/27 or UBS4.
Good point for people to consider. Just owning something doesn't help you learn something, nor does having another language in your field of vision help you learn it! (:

I don't know the difference between "interlinear" and "parallel". I guess "parallel" would be what I mean.
Jacob Rhoden

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

With regards to parallel vs interlinear, As per the attached screenshot, Im not that interested in this style. The english is printed twice, firstly on the left, and secondly interspersed in the greek.
Attachments
Sample where greek has english annotations.
Sample where greek has english annotations.
Screen Shot 2013-04-15 at 6.36.56 AM-s.png (241.86 KiB) Viewed 5081 times
jeffreyrequadt

Post by jeffreyrequadt »

This is a parallel edition. Instead of words underneath other words, there is one language/version on one side and a different language/version on the other. Some editions of the Bible have as many as 4 or 6 (the Hexapla is a famous one).
Attachments
A parallel version of Hebrews 3:7ff with the NET and the NA27.
A parallel version of Hebrews 3:7ff with the NET and the NA27.
parallel.png (172.84 KiB) Viewed 5079 times
Jeffrey T. Requadt
Tucson, AZ
jeffreyrequadt

Post by jeffreyrequadt »

This is an interlinear. Underneath each Greek word is an English "equivalent." It is not really a translation per se. "Inter" = inside/in-between, "linear" = the lines, interlinear = "in-between the lines." Basically. :?
Attachments
Interlinear edition of Hebews 3:7 in NA27 with McReynolds interlinear.
Interlinear edition of Hebews 3:7 in NA27 with McReynolds interlinear.
interlinear.png (72.39 KiB) Viewed 5078 times
Jeffrey T. Requadt
Tucson, AZ
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

One of the things you want to learn to do is read the Greek text without looking at the English. Personally, I think there's no shame in looking at the English after you've read the Greek repeatedly to the point that you can't learn anything new from reading it, but looking at the translation should come after that point.

If you want a parallel New Testament in English that also shows you all the variants, I like this one:

http://bible.org/diglot

That does not give you the Old Testament, though. You'll also need a lexicon. If portable is important, this is a good one: http://www.amazon.com/Concise-Greek-Eng ... +Testament

If portable is really the driving factor, maybe buying Bible software with the SBLGNT, Septuagint, and the Danker lexicon makes sense? Is Hebrew important to you too?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Jacob Rhoden

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

Setting aside for the minute I don't know anything about the "NET" translation, that looks perfect. Putting the greek and english on alternating pages is a good idea as well. At this point I am really interested in getting something with greek OT and NT -- I plan to learn Hebrew at some point, but for the next few years I expect my focus will be completely on Greek.

Return to “Other”