Abbott-Smith note on γινώσκω vs οἶδα

Semantic Range, Lexicography, and other approaches to word meaning - in general, or for particular words.
Jonathan Robie

Abbott-Smith note on γινώσκω vs οἶδα

Post by Jonathan Robie » June 5th, 2016, 6:52 am

How accurate do you think this note is?
Abbott-Smith wrote:γινώσκω, to know by observation and experience is thus prop. distinguished from οἶδα, to know by reflection (a mental process, based on intuition or information)
0 x

ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

cwconrad

Re: Abbott-Smith note on γινώσκω vs οἶδα

Post by cwconrad » June 5th, 2016, 7:53 am

Jonathan Robie wrote:How accurate do you think this note is?
Abbott-Smith wrote:γινώσκω, to know by observation and experience is thus prop. distinguished from οἶδα, to know by reflection (a mental process, based on intuition or information)
I've often thought that the clearest distinction between ἰδεῖν/εἰδέναι and γι(γ)νώσκειν/γνῶναι is in line 3 of the proem of the Odyssey
πολλῶν δʼ ἀνθρώπων ἴδεν ἄστεα καὶ νόον ἔγνω.
Sight-seeing is the work of a tourist, learning the mind of a human being requires the mind of a connoisseur.

On the other hand, I've seen more than one passage where the distinction between ἰδεῖν/εἰδέναι and γι(γ)νώσκειν/γνῶναι is not so clear-cut, after all. Many of us (not all, of course) agree that there's an overlap of meaning between ἀγαπᾶν and φιλεῖν -- even -- or especially -- in John 21 in the celebrated dialogue of Jesus with Peter. Perhaps it is only if and when we do lexicography in the abstract that word-meanings are "crystal-clear." Sometime "usage" seems to be "confusage."
0 x
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)

Jean

Re: Abbott-Smith note on γινώσκω vs οἶδα

Post by Jean » October 11th, 2018, 2:44 am

Hello all,

Reading 1 Kor 2:11 I stumbled over the question οιδεν / εγνωκεν.

Searching the internet pointed me to this thread (and to http://adayofsmallthings.com/ginosko-and-oida/ ).

I wonder, if the people in the centuries of the Early Christianity still made this distinction.

I've found 45 quotations of 1 KOR 2:11 in my (very raw) database of Migne PG: 25 of them have οιδεν, 20 have εγνωκεν (or some other form of γινωσκω, paraphrasing the Paulus-Text made that sometimes necessary).

So probably this distinction wasn't made in those times any more.

Regards
Jean Putmans
1 x
Jean Putmans
Netherlands