Question about the consonant "γ"

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
Paulo Albuquerque

Question about the consonant "γ"

Post by Paulo Albuquerque »

I realized that the consonant "γ" has three different types of pronunciation: ἀγγεῖον (ɡ), γυνὴ (ɣ) and ἐγένετο (ʝ). How do I know when to use each of these different sounds?
Jason Hare

Re: Question about the consonant "γ"

Post by Jason Hare »

paulinhoch18 wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 10:51 pm I realized that the consonant "γ" has three different types of pronunciation: ἀγγεῖον (ɡ), γυνὴ (ɣ) and ἐγένετο (ʝ). How do I know when to use each of these different sounds?
The same way you know in English that "ng" is [ŋ], that "ga," "go" and "gu" is [g] and that "ge," "gi" and "gy" is [ʤ].

γγ [ŋ]
γα, γο, γω [ɣ]
γε, γι, γη, γυ, γοι [j] ("y")

Does that make sense?
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Paulo Albuquerque

Thanks for answering me. That helped me a lot. I would like to know where to find such information regarding other consonants in Koine Greec. Like the τ, π, κ, and all others.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

paulinhoch18 wrote: December 4th, 2017, 11:26 pm Thanks for answering me. That helped me a lot. I would like to know where to find such information regarding other consonants in Koine Greec. Like the τ, π, κ, and all others.
Have you checked Randall Buth's Ἡ Κοινὴ Προφορά – Koiné Pronunciation?
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

By the way, if you don't mind, what is your last name? We have a forum policy that one must use his or her real name to participate on the forum. I can add it to your signature, if you like (as you see mine), or we can change your username.

Thanks,
Jason
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Paulo Albuquerque

Jason Hare wrote: December 5th, 2017, 12:18 am By the way, if you don't mind, what is your last name? We have a forum policy that one must use his or her real name to participate on the forum. I can add it to your signature, if you like (as you see mine), or we can change your username.
I'm sorry. I tried to add my real name but I couldn't. Can you change my username, please? My name is Paulo Albuquerque.
Paulo Albuquerque

Jason Hare wrote: December 5th, 2017, 12:17 am
paulinhoch18 wrote: December 4th, 2017, 11:26 pm Thanks for answering me. That helped me a lot. I would like to know where to find such information regarding other consonants in Koine Greec. Like the τ, π, κ, and all others.
Yes. I already read this text. But it does not address all the letters. It does not say, for example, when the consonant τ is pronounced with a sound of [t] and when it is pronounced with a sound of [d]. I wanted something more complete. The information you gave me about the Gamma I didn't find anywhere else.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Paulo Albuquerque wrote: December 5th, 2017, 9:48 am
Jason Hare wrote: December 5th, 2017, 12:17 am
Yes. I already read this text. But it does not address all the letters. It does not say, for example, when the consonant τ is pronounced with a sound of [t] and when it is pronounced with a sound of [d]. I wanted something more complete. The information you gave me about the Gamma I didn't find anywhere else.
Why would τ be pronounced as [d]?
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Jason Hare wrote: December 5th, 2017, 3:22 pm Why would τ be pronounced as [d]?
In Modern Greek, τ is pronounced as [d] after a v. There is some evidence, I believe (Horrocks?), that it may have already happened in Koine times, as with παντα /panda/.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Stephen Carlson wrote: December 5th, 2017, 5:01 pm
Jason Hare wrote: December 5th, 2017, 3:22 pm Why would τ be pronounced as [d]?
In Modern Greek, τ is pronounced as [d] after a v. There is some evidence, I believe (Horrocks?), that it may have already happened in Koine times, as with παντα /panda/.
Interesting. I just use [t]. Shrug.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel

Return to “Beginners Forum”