Hoping for real reading proficiency

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Shirley Rollinson

Re: Hoping for real reading proficiency

Post by Shirley Rollinson » August 6th, 2018, 9:44 pm

seanmcguire wrote:
August 6th, 2018, 1:55 pm
I at least have found reading three times really, really powerful.
- - - snip snip - - -

As for finding words below 10x, I've yet to find an easy way to do this. I have Accordance, but I'm not sure how to search specifically. My Google searches haven't turned up any good advice. I also have a reader's lexicon, but that is time consuming to type out for each book. Any ideas how to get the word data quickly?
I use Zerwick and Grosvenor "Grammatical Analysis of the Greek New Testament" (Biblical Institute Press, Rome) for help with unfamiliar words/constructions - there are often some insightful comments and etymology which are helpful.
What I find works for me is to read a passage straight through, aloud, even if I don't understand it completely. Then I go back and read it aloud again, but slowly, and make notes of words or grammar that I need to check out. Then I check the words etc - and write them out in a notebook keyed to Book, chapter, verse. Then I mentally (silently) read the passage and see how things fit together, and when I've got that worked out I read it again aloud at normal speed and think about what the passage is saying.
Hope this helps
Shirley Rollinson
0 x

Sam Parkinson

Post by Sam Parkinson » August 8th, 2018, 6:24 am

seanmcguire wrote:
August 6th, 2018, 1:55 pm
As for finding words below 10x, I've yet to find an easy way to do this. I have Accordance, but I'm not sure how to search specifically. My Google searches haven't turned up any good advice. I also have a reader's lexicon, but that is time consuming to type out for each book. Any ideas how to get the word data quickly?
Not from accordance, sorry - I'm sure it's possible! Logos lets you list all words in a book with a certain frequency, and then subtract other lists from that, but I've never used Accordance. I'm sure someone else can help?
If you are willing to spend money on it, I think Daryl Burling's https://masterntgreek.com/ gives you premade lists by book.
Sam.
0 x

seanmcguire

Post by seanmcguire » August 13th, 2018, 8:57 am

What I find works for me is to read a passage straight through, aloud, even if I don't understand it completely. Then I go back and read it aloud again, but slowly, and make notes of words or grammar that I need to check out. Then I check the words etc - and write them out in a notebook keyed to Book, chapter, verse. Then I mentally (silently) read the passage and see how things fit together, and when I've got that worked out I read it again aloud at normal speed and think about what the passage is saying.
Thanks for this advice! This seems like a really good approach.
If you are willing to spend money on it, I think Daryl Burling's https://masterntgreek.com/ gives you premade lists by book.
I think you might be right. I've looked into purchasing his material in the past for that very reason. It may be helpful. Thanks for the tip.
0 x

Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter » August 13th, 2018, 11:36 am

seanmcguire wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 8:57 am
Thanks for this advice! This seems like a really good approach.
I think you might be right. I've looked into purchasing his material in the past for that very reason. It may be helpful. Thanks for the tip.
The precise way of doing these sorts of things can vary, and will change as the student gains proficiency. The principle, however, is to engage in as many ways as possible with the language. That includes reading, writing, arithmetic (oops, not that one so much, sorry), speaking out loud, listening to the text if a decent recording exists, etc. πρίν σε γινώσκειν, τὴν γλῶσσαν Ἑλληνικήν ποιεῖς!
0 x
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
Χαίρετε ἐν κυρίῳ πάντοτε· πάλιν ἐρῶ, χαίρετε

Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie » August 13th, 2018, 12:11 pm

Barry Hofstetter wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 11:36 am
The precise way of doing these sorts of things can vary, and will change as the student gains proficiency. The principle, however, is to engage in as many ways as possible with the language. That includes reading, writing, arithmetic (oops, not that one so much, sorry) ...
Maybe a little arithmetic, certainly a little Geometry if that's what interests you ...
0 x
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

RandallButh

Post by RandallButh » August 14th, 2018, 4:32 am

First--Euclid is available in Greek. It is an old classic.
For math, go for it.

Secondly, posts on this site often fail to appreciate the difference between 'canned sound', like reading outloud, and actually using the language for thinking, praying, talking to oneself and to others. There is a world of difference and reading outloud will NOT lead to true reading proficiency or internalization of a language. Sorry, humans arn't programed that way.
Real language use for communication is VITAL.
0 x