[B-Greek] HQELON OUN LABEIN AUTON EIS TO PLOION Jn 6:21

bwmeyers at toast.net bwmeyers at toast.net
Sun Jun 1 09:08:40 EDT 2008

On Sat, 31 May 2008 11:36:58 +0200, Iver wrote:

> [...]

Maybe so, IF the context does not suggest the contrary.  I think the
entire Gospel, especially this immediate context, does.

>Iver Larsen

I'm far from being a Grk scholar, although I've been into it for 50
yrs.  That's why I'm into this list: if I were more knowlegeable,
things like this make me wonder if I would be here.

A number of my commentators, including Alford,  argue for miracle
intent by John.

EGW EIMI is "literally I AM," according to other scholars.  If it
"doesn't mean" what it says, I would have liked to have heard --- why?
Especially when many other commentators insist that the Lord Jesus is
making the same claim here as when He used the same words in John
8:58, 18:4-8, and four other passages, in John.

And it seems to me, when it was implied that the boat was something
like 3+ miles from shore, probably in the middle of the night, when
John carefully includes the details EUQEWS and GHS EIS HN UPHGON in v.
21, --- what would be the purpose of these seemingly otherwise utterly
trite words, if not there to magnify and elaborate the miracle
involved?

Bob Meyers

Christ Died to Save You