[B-Greek] Romans 8:16: SUMMARTUREI TWi PNEUMATI

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 8 15:45:36 EDT 2008

I don't see that BDAG particularly supports Wallace in his contention.  It states
συμμαρτυρέω [SUMMARTUREW] (Soph., Thu. et al.) ‘to testify’ or ‘bear witness with’ (Plut., Thes. et Romul. 6, 5, Mor. 64c; BGU86, 40 [II a.d.] al.), then also gener.to provide supporting evidence by testifying,confirm, support by testimony(as early as Solon24, 3 D.2the prefix συν-has in the highest degree the effect of strengthening.
Arndt, W., Danker, F. W., & Bauer, W. (2000). A Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament and other early Christian literature. (3rd ed.) (957). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Similarly M & M
συνμαρτυρέω [SUNMARTUREW]
“bear witness with” (Rom 2:15al.): cf. BGU I. 8641ff(a.d.155), where the signature of each attesting witness is accompanied by the words συνμαρτυρῶ καὶ συνσφρακιῶ. For the subst. σύμμαρτυςcf. BGU II. 6006(ii/iii a.d.), and for συμμαρτύρομαιsee the note to PSI VI. 6965(iii/a.d.).
Moulton, J. H., & Milligan, G. (1930). The vocabulary of the Greek Testament. Issued also in eight parts, 1914-1929. (610). London: Hodder and Stoughton.

 george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
defend the truth till death.