[B-Greek] Giant Print Greek (Leonard Isaksson)

Kenneth Litwak javajedi2 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 21 00:42:57 EDT 2008

  There are several options.
1. I use Bibleworks, in which you can make the display and the print font as large as you want (I normally make everything 20 points).  Bibleworks has the LXX, Apostolic Fathers, Josephus, Philo, and the NT Apocrypha.

2. Get Zoomtext, which is software that magnifies the screen at the power you want,from less than 1.0 power to way up there.  Great program from AI Squared.

3.  Use Firefox as your browser and go to Perseus.  I tried this as an experiment and it worked great. You hold down the control button and use the scroll wheel to make the fonts larger or smaller as you wish.  No, Internet Exploder does not have this feature.  You need a good browser to do it.  Then you could copy and paste to Wordperfect or another word processing program, and print it with large fonts too.

4.  I have a Microsoft Mouse with a feature on it that I can click on the left side with my thumb and it magnifies whatever area is under the mouse pointer.  You could read Perseus that way too..

  None of these are a large-print book but they all provide a way to access Greek texts in an enlarged way. Or, you could just get a high-power magnifying glass.  Or, if you can afford it, you could get one of those machines that lets you put the book under it and it displays what is on the book on a television-like screen in front of you.  It is not the fastest way to read anything but it again gets around the problem that you are unlikely to find many larege-print Greek texts from the ancient world.

   There's one other option.  If you start with a book that has small pages, like those in the Loeb Classical Library, you can put the book on a photocopier and enlarge it when you make a copy. Then you could take the pages to a copy store or the like and have it bound. That would give you a book, though this might violate the copyright.  In my view, there should not be a copyright on a Greek text that is 2300 years old, but that's another story..

Ken Litwak